Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
EVB: Situation Analysis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

EVB: Situation Analysis

I have Ulcerative Colitis and on Pentasa 2grs/day for 2 years / uncircumsized - Oct 11 (4 protected vaginal and 4 unprotected **, 1 deep French Kiss - all CSW in Germany) after 5 weeks: hi fever, major fatigue, heavy sore throat, mouth blister on upper lip, chest congestion. Then on Dec. 1: 3 protected vaginal and 1 unprotected ** all in within 8 hours and i was sick that day: after 15 days and over 6 weeks: Acne on back, tiny white pimple x 4 below head of penis, insect like pimples on arms, legs, and abdomen, mild fever, Athlete's foot, yeast infection on penis head, 2 blisters on groins, left side neck lymph node mild, night sweats for 3 weeks, coughing for 3 weeks, loss of appetite, loss of approx 3KG weight, abdominal pain, diarrhea only once per day but for 3 weeks, mouth thrush. WBC on day 36 after second exposure (usual 8.2 and dropped to 6.42). Took HIV Duo on day 84 and day 34 (after second exposure) + HepB&C + Syph: Negative then took the following at day 76 after second exposure also negative but with suspicions:On Oct. 1, I took tests on day 124 after 1st exposure and day 76 after 2nd exp: CBC normal but WBC hi 9800 & RBC hi 6.16–Urine  RBC 2-4 & WBC 8-10 (possible kidney stone since there is presence of crystals) –SGOT/AST & SGPT/ALT normal–Gamma GT normal–CR Protein normal – Syphilis nega–CMV negative – Chlamidya nega– EBVac anti VCG IgM 0.7 (borderline of 0.8)–Ac anti VCA (IgG) 2.7 above the 0.8–Ac anti HSV IgM normal 0.3–HSV 1+2 IgG is 4.6 above 0.8.  HIV 1 PCR RNA (tests took place 124 days after 1st and 76 days after 2nd exposure)Absence of detection of HIV 1 RNA (20-10,000,000l 1,3 -7,0log).Further to two medhelp doctors and 3 doctors in my hometown, they all confirmed that I am HIV Negative (very conclusive and don’t take other tests).
Till a few hours back, I kept on asking different sources about HIV but with the same answer. Until I had a second-guess: what about Herpes?? It seems I got it either from first or second exposure… as you can see, I have contracted Herpes, VCA, and/or EBV.
Q1: could my described symptoms from either exposure be related to them?
Q2: if yes, what should I do to protect my wife and kid from possible infection?
Q3: now it is 110 days after second exposure, do you recommend further tests?
I’m so afraid due to my family and the fear of transmission.
Hi guys, am I being ignored? Thanks anyway.. you could or could have helped a father.
Your symptoms could be caused by EBV, or they could be caused by any of the other things you mentioned (or both).  It sounds like your EBV titers are high, so that's probably one thing you're dealing with, but I think there's other stuff going on as well.  You need to go to an infectious disease specialist and get extensive testing... unfortunately, I really don't know anything about any of those other things, just EBV.
Hope all is well.
In effect, your answer gave me a relief because I spent a lot of money and time seeking an answer to the relentless symptoms that happened to me for the first time in my life and at a very critical timing (15 days post exposure). I took HSV test and turned out that I have HSV1 positive (8+).
Q1: to be honest, I can deal with HSV, EBV, whatever as long as HIV is out of the equation. However, what is driving me nuts and till date is the fact that I read many times that people infected with HIV would have EBV and HSV in addition to CMV reactivated. I have this fear that what if somehow I have this father of all diseases. So my question: would my latest result of HSV in addition to the earlier EBV and VCA ring an HIV alarm???

Q2: if you say I shouldn't worry about HIV, then do you recommend me to do something about EBV??

Many thanks in advance.
Do you have those symptoms ?
If you do you might need to join our group