Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
Epstein Barr and CFS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

Epstein Barr and CFS

Why do we keep seeing some in the medical establishment, trying to convince people that this condition isn't caused by Epstein Bar? And we are also seeing them prescribe psychiatric drugs as a treatment for this condition. By doing this, they are still saying, "its all in your head!" This was the same treatment that they offered me 22 years ago, when I first came down with a severe case of mono, which caused my liver to become inflamed (and develop hepatic encephalopathy) . There is no doubt that this is where my CFS began, and probably many peoples. Although, many peoples symptoms may have came on slower, and the cause isn't as obvious, because these herpes viruses are often stealth...And their original illness may have gotten misdiagnosed as the flu or a cold. My case of mono was so severe, that the CFS was instant, and never went away since. The medical doctor said he couldn't treat this, and that I may never make a full recovery....So I eventually ended up in a shrinks office. What the psychiatrists diagnosed as major depressive disorder, was actually malaise, that never went away after the acute phase of illness. Then they began insisting that there is no illness. They said fatigue and malaise, are all symptoms of depression....Because depression has physical symptoms as well as psychological. So this entire syndrome is caused by "life's little disappointments", and not by any illness LOL! WOW, I never knew depression could cause numbness, confusion, loss of coordination, and swollen lymph glands also.  

Although, after many years I may have recovered a little from some of the long term symptoms, (or my brain learned to accept and cope with them) while other symptoms remain permanent...Such as chronic fatigue. While new symptoms began to show up also as I got older, such as the extreme nerve pain around the body, especially around the hips and buttocks. Its unknown if this is related to the mono.

It seems like the government and medical community are trying to cover-up this virus, and convince everybody that this syndrome is caused by something else.
I was diagnosed with EBV/CFS back in 2002.  In actuality, I have MS, which was first suspected in my 20s (confirmed by MRIs/lumbar puncture).  

I'm on Cymbalta, which is an anti depressant but helps immensely to alleviate neuropathic pain.  Many people who have EBV or CFS experience pain.  In my case chronic pain.  

I understand where you're coming from as I felt the same way.  
What really gets my po'd is the mentality that depression is the cause.  It's more like having chronic illness can cause depression or anxiety.  
it's not worth getting upset with the ignorant, lazy drs who has not been updated on this disease.  But there are doctors out there who get it.  I don't know where you are located but if you're on the west coast, Dr. Montoya at Stanford Infectious Disease Dept is an expert in this area.  good luck