Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
False negative on rapid test
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

False negative on rapid test

My son had Type A flu for a week. Ran 101 - 103 temps., lost seven pounds. Then he called from school with a headache, stomach ache, and felt like he was going to be sick. I took him to the doctor. He said his spleen is enlarged, and his throat is red with pus pockets. Was negative for strep and mono. He is running the other mono test that takes a week to get back. How often is the rapid test inaccurate? What else could it be if it's not mono?
Thank you.  He also has a long medical history. He was born premature, has had VSD repair done as an infant, was on growth hormone shots, etc.