Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
HELP!! Can a positive mono test mean other diseases are present?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

Hi, i tested positive for infectious mono (the kissing disease). I am aware that the body's immune system produces antibodies to attack and help destroy invading viruses and bacteria. These specific antibodies can be detected in the blood of people who have been infected. So can my positive Mono test results detect HIV or trigger it to be positive? Can testing for EBV antibodies become positive due to other diseases?
Not necessarily. Mononucleosis however can be caused by other pathogens other then EBV..HIV for example can cause mononucleosis.  However if you have HIV your body will not produce anti-bodies for EBV in response to the HIV. I hope that makes sense.
Basically mono is just a way the immune system can respond to different things, most common being MONO..The only other thing I can think is that sometime in immune comprised patients, like aids patients, EBV can be reactivated and cause another infection..This is rare in healthy people.
Thanks for the comment, so what you are saying is that if I have HIV, and I tested for mono, the test would not be positive because it detected HIV??
It really depends on the test.  Generally when they look at the blood some of the white blood cells nucleus look strange.. This is where the name mononucleosis comes from..Once doctor's sees this they want to find out what caused it.  And 90% of the time it's the Epstein Barr Virus.  However, sometimes other things like CMV, Toxoplasmosis, and HIV can cause the condition of mononucleosis.  So to be sure, they do an anti-body test. This test can tell if it IS the EBV that's causing your mono which is usually the case.  
In lots of circumstances Doctors will test for a bunch of other stuff as well, like HIV, to rule out the cause for mono..But generally if there is a positive on the EBV, the hunt stops there.
However, if your question is whether HIV can cause mono, the answer is yes, however this usually happens in people who are late stage AIDS patients who have a weak immune system and EBV reactivates.  You see EBV is a latent virus which stays with you for life and with really sick people it can reactivate.  Also to be clear:  The test for MONO, and the antibodies that causes it are completely different tests than for HIV.  
You can only test for one antibody at a time.  So a positive on a mono test means nothing when wondering if you have an infection with another virus.  In short, if your worried, get tested for HIV...

Thanks so much.. i was just extremely curious about this b/c the symptoms for Mono and HIV are so similar. but thank you for your comment
Came in with a bad case of strep throat. Experienced the most RUDE and unfriendly, ill tempered staff ever! The lady who worked the front register was so condescending to me, it was honestly unreal. The nurse couldn't find a vein after FOUR tries when attempting to start an iv on me. Didn't even stop the bleeding properly, was left with huge bruises on my arms. Worst experience all around; I will warn everyone I know about this place. At the end of my awful ordeal, the doctor came in and said, "Well, I don't know what's going on with that nurse... but come back tomorrow for an iv if ya feel like it." DO NOT GO HERE!!!!!!!