Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
HELP: EBV REACTIVE what does this mean?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

HELP: EBV REACTIVE what does this mean?

Hello, I have been so sick for months (on and off for at least four years w/ really distressing symptoms), including low blood pressure, tachycardia (100-160 every day!), headaches, digestive problems, weight loss, tingling, numbness cold & hot sensations all over, etc, etc, etc.

I just got a test back today and I am even more confused than I was before. I had Mono when I was 12 and was very sick for a few months. Never had an Epstein Barr Virus test.

Today I received my results (we've been looking into a possible autoimmune test), and I'm hoping you guys out there in the know could help me interpret this, if not, let me know if there is other testing I should be doing.

EBV VCA IgG = Reactive
EBV EA IgG = Reactive
EBV EBNA IgG = Reactive

EBV interpretation: Compatible with EBV infection, possible reactivation or past infection. The results should be interpreted in the context of the clinic symptoms.

Oh yah, and this showed up, too:

Cytomegalovirus IgG EIA = Reactive
Cytomegalovirus IgG EIA = Non-Reactive

I have also had a positive ANA test w/homogenous and speckled pattern twice, one at 1:80 and the other at 1:160.

I'm really just fishing for answers about EBV, but if anyone knows or has experience with the other stuff, I am so open to hearing your story. Hoping to get to a place of less confusion and a diagnosis soon.

Thanks a lot for your input in advance. Hope everyone here is doing well!
Hi, the fact that you had mono when you were 12 means you either had Epstein-Barr Virus or Cytomegalovirus.  EBV is the more likely of the 2, but given your results, it's possible to have had both (not necessarily at the same time).  Your EBV test results show that you either have or have had an EBV infection (see  http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/ebv/test.html#what  for more details).  I'm wondering, have you received any advice from your doctor regarding these results?
No advice from the doctor about this. I don't really have a family doctor. I'm waiting on a internalist / cardiologist specialist at the end of december. in the meantime, i'm super ill. I was confused by these EBV CMV results and scared by all the other symptoms that I have going on right now.

I'm so scared that I might have cancer or something else, but mainly worried about the cancer thing right now.

thanks for responding!
I also tested negative for mono.
Unfortunately, there was no point in running the monospot test now (I'm assuming you meant you recently tested negative), if you already tested positive for it in the past, and especially given that you've tested positive for EBV.  Sorry to say, but it sounds to me like whomever you're dealing with, is a bit out of their league.  If you can, I would really recommend seeing an infectious desease specialist about this.  Hope things start going better for you!
Thanks a lot for responding!

Yes, I tested negative for mono at the same time these EBV tests came back. It was about two weeks ago that I received the test results (but I've been sick for a long time). I am supposed to be seeing a GI internist (specialist) this Friday, I'm really hoping that he can help me out.

If I was in a position to have a doctor who knows what they're doing, what do you think they would recommend? I am so very sick and I have no idea why. Everything is going awry. I'm trying my best to cope day-by-day with the symptoms, but sometimes it's hard to know whether I should be going to the ER.

I'm doing my best to be patient with this.
I have reactivated mono, that's what it looks like you have as well. The ONLY information I can find online is that it's rare. I've had it one year now. My test shows both a past and a present infection. Its very rare to show up on blood test like that, but mine has for the past year.
I'm sorry you are going through this.  Cytomegalovirus (CMV)I hear about a lot when talking about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome(CFS), saying they got CMV first and then CFS I also have CFS, but I had that years before EBV showed reactivated. I don't know if anyone tested me for CMV.