How Many of You Have Had a DEXA Scan ?

I don't think many health practitioners are aware of this, but I could be wrong. If you have fibro, CFIDS/ME or an autoimmune condition, I highly recommend getting a DEXA scan to rule out osteopenia and/or osteoporosis. And this includes the male members here as well... I've seen a few men on the research protocol I'm on who have been diagnosed with either one of these two conditions.
I had a dexa scan back in 6/2006 and they found osteopenia.  I could not get another one until this June with my prior insurance.  I now have a PPO and can do another scan.
What does it mean when you have osteopenia, other than it is a precursor to Osteoporosois?  I have so many aches and pains and still waiting for my tests results on autoimmune diseases.  If I have hashimoto's disease will that show up on the ANA test?

I'm not surprised to hear that you have osteopenia. I also have osteopenia as well and I'm in my 30's. If you have osteopenia, you are at greater risk for getting osteoporosis. The normal treatment is vitamin D supplementation, but there is now some controversy surrounding that. There are people now, including myself, who believe that a low vitamin D level does not cause the disease, but it is rather a symptom of the disease... and that vitamin D supplements will make it worse. Many, many people with illnesses such as sarcoidosis, fibromyalgia, CFS and autoimmune diseases have vitamin D dysregulation.

I treat my osteopenia by lifting weights (what I can lift... LOL!) and taking supplements. (not vitamin D, but strontium and boron)

I would think that you would have a positive ANA with Hashimoto's disease, because the disease is an autoimmune disease. But Dr. Choi may have to comment on that one.

You have the best information. Thank you for spending so much time. I will keep you posted.
Mary
I have fibro and osteopenia.  3 years back I had both osteoperosis and osteopenia and did the IV reclast once a year for 3 years. things must  have improved a good thing.

I hurt all over more often then not.  I take Savella and Gabepentin to treat the fibro and it helps lots.

Dexa scan is a good thing.
I just was told that the Fibromyalgia that I have had for 20 years is most secondary due to any number of autoimmune issues. I have Hypothyroidism, inflammatory bowel disease, plus symptoms of a number of other diseases. I was also told that my immunoglobulin IgM is really low and my IgG somewhat  low as well as my cortisol levels.  I just had a dexa scan and my Femur T-score is -1.3 and my Z Score is -1.2. My Lumber spine T Score is -0.8 and the Z Score is also -0.8. Does anyone have any idea what this all means because I am also losing my hair, I sweat buckets for absolutely no reason and I am currently healing from fractures in both heals that I have no idea how that happened.