Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
How long do the effects of Mono last?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

How long do the effects of Mono last?

I was sick most of January and part of February and was finally diagnosed with mono.  Initially, I was diagnosed with acute bronchitis, which turned into pneumonia, followed by a relapse of the pneumonia, and then tested positive for mono.  I only worked about 5 days during the whole month of January and missed some days in February.  I am still so exhausted.  I still have a sore throat from time to time, and it feels as though my glands in the right side of my neck going to my ear are swollen and somewhat painful.  I do lead a busy life in that I work full time, have a 50 minute commute to work, and also go to school full time.  I am 56 years old and have never been diagnosed with mono before, so I don't know if the fatigue now is due to mono, or if I've just got so much going on that I am tired all the time.If anyone has some insight into this, I would surely appreciate it.  Thanks.
6 months to 1 year recovery, especially for older people..Fatigue and the need to sleep are the last symptoms to go.  Best course of action is to give into the fatigue..Nap and sleep when you need to..

I'm also recovering from mono that I got in November.
Thank you so much for your reply.  I have a very hectic schedule with working full time as a paralegal in a large litigation firm and full time college, plus family, kids, etc. and I'm no spring chicken at age 56, but I find myself so extremely exhausted all the time.  Good to know that this can be an expected consequence of mono.  It's very difficult to just rest/sleep when I want/need to, but this definitely explains my residual fatigue.  On week-ends, I try to do as "little" as I can so I can be ready for the next work week.  Thanks so much.
I woke up at 4am this morning with my throat so sore and swollen that I couldn't swallow.. It scared me as if I were choking.. I had a crappy day on top of it too.. I spent 4 hours miserable waiting to be fit into the dr's office - Mono it was... No fever or headache yet at that time.. As I was leaving with dreams of a pillow, my 15 yr old son called from school - his throat hurt and he was showing my symptoms.. Back to dr's office I go without an apt again.. Another 4 hours for him..( I drug my youngest son with us too - he was fine of course).
So by 10pm, My head is splitting, my stomach hurts, I feel like I'm gonna hurl and I crying cuz I feel like crap and taking care on my son who feels like crap and caring for my other son who feels great.. My hubby is on a biz trip for the entire week - and I am supposed to be packing for our move over christmas break.. I am so stressed and miserable already less than 24 hours into it.. my son too.. How long does the worst part last? I am really fine with laying around in bed resting but I can't sleep due to my head and wanting to hurl and tummy pain... Please give advice.... I spent $30 on juice and soup for us so that we would have something - I am drinking and forcing my son to drink though he argues repetitively...