Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
Infectious Mononucleosis
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Infectious Mononucleosis

Hi I just wanted to ask you if I really have mono even though the test did come back positive.
The test which my doctors told me i tested positive for mononucleosis like a few weeks ago came to a surprise to me
because I never got any symtoms (symptoms) for mono. Only symtoms (symptoms) I got was fatigue and being in a tired state. I decided to get a blood test because I started to feel really tired and weaker than normal during my swimming practice, btw i am a competitive swimmer. I knew there was something wrong with me but i was not convinced that i got mono because
I simply did not have any symptoms except feeling physically weak. Even though i was tired, it wasn't hard for me to stay up until 2 or 3 AM in the morning. I didn't have a lack of appetite, i ate as same as usual and i even grew a little bit taller.I didn't get swollen lymph nodes, sore throat, headaches, white spots on tongue..etc. My doctor did suspect and tested me for mono since my liver enzyme level was high which was 280 or 290.
I never share drinks but I did drink a cup of beer that was really really dirty but drank it by accident like a few weeks ago.(Btw i dont drink alcohol) some of my friends believe i might have gotten hepatitis A from that since the beer i drank was dirty. which ever the case if i do have it does it have any long term effects and it is likely to get long term effects from mono?
doctors say that mono relapse and getting mono more than once is extremely rare but how come there are people out there who have gotten mono like 2 or 3 times?
Since i am a competitive swimmer I am concerned about how mono may affect my swimming career by getting mono relapse or suffering from mono long term effects once i recover, do you think i should really worry about this?
And I heard that once you recover from mono, EBV virus periodically can be seen in your saliva throughout your life, does this technically mean i am contagious forever if I share drinks or kiss someone?