Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
Is A Positive Recent EBV Infection Test Always Mono?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

I am a 30 y/o old male.  I have been diagnosed with a recent EBV infection.  Here are the lab numbers:

VCA (IGM) = 1.31H
VCA (IGG) = 3.70H
EBNA (IGG) = > 5.0H
White Blood Cell Count (WBC) = 5.5 thousand/uL (which is a healthy count...)

I have not had fever or a sore throat however I have been feeling strange for about 3 months.  I have a bit of photophobia, swelling around the eyes, and I am dizzy at times when I turn my head.  What I really want to know is could I have had mono without a fever or a sore throat?  Thank you.
I found out I was positive for EBV over a month ago. Alot of people will test positve for EBV, it just means they were at one time exposed to it when someone had active mono at one time or another. When I found out i tested positve i realized i was exposed to a co-worker who had active mono at the time. (she was not diagnosed properly at the time)
This was over 15yrs ago, but I remember her being really ill, low grade fever, her spleen was enlarged, her lymph nodes enlarged. She missed 3 months of work due to mono and had to drop out a semester of college to recover. I never got those symptom or mono for that matter. My doctor told me I could have had mono, just did not know it, AND it could had been very mild symptoms. I hear it causes extreme fatigue, will I have never been fatigued, so I don't think I have ever gotten mono.

Positive for EBV basically means you were exposed at one time or another, UNLESS you have symptoms of active mono. Now it is possible some of your symptoms are low grade symptoms of mono, but my doctor told me that there is basically not anything you can do about mono but treat the symptoms individually, NO antiboitics, you just rest a lot and ride it out, unless it causes problems with your spleen.

I would contact your doctor and tell him/her your symptoms and find out if there is any realation to EBV.

Keep an eye on your symptoms.