Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
Liver and EBV

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

Liver and EBV

So, in May I felt nauseous off and on but assumed it was because my allergies were so bad.  I had no fevers, no vomiting, no sore throat or anything like that.  Mid-June I went to the doctor because I still felt occassionally nauseous and my allergies were still bad.  She took blood and the only thing she saw was that my liver enzymes were extremely high - no high white blood cell count or anything like that.  Took more blood, tested negative for hepatitis and was sent to a GE specialist.  She took blood asked all the usual questions, etc.  When I asked her what it could be she among other things said she doubted it was mono as I showed no other symptoms (I had not had a fever or sore throat), thought it might be medicine induce as I was on birthcontrol, and we would need to wait for the blood work to come in.  In the meantime, I needed to stop the birthcontrol.  Blood work came back, with nothing but VERY high liver enzymes (in the 1000s).  Rushed me in for more blood tests to see if the enzymes went down since I had been off the medicine.  Asked how I was feeling and I said, well, fine except my allergies were still bad, in fact had been worse the past week, and I had had, a very sore throat for a day or two (again, this is now about 3 months after the onset of feeling bad and 1 month after the first blood test showing high liver enzymes)  

Sure enough, the rushed blood work showed that my enzymes had dropped to the 100s and 300s.  Still high, but going down so the thought was medicine induced hep.  She just called since the rest of that blood work had come in and said the Epstein-Barr came back postive though - I have mono.  

My question is though, I really didn't ever have a fever and I didn't have a sore throat until last week so is it possible that I just got mono?  Could my liver issues have caused me to be more suseptible to the virus or since I am older (36) did  I just present the disease with odd symptoms?
Hey there, I'm glad you made this post, but sorry you are going through this situation.  I am a guy, 25, and I am going through something similar.  I'm no doctor, and I don't think I can answer your questions...but as I go for some similar blood work, I can keep some of your questions in mind.  But in regards to the EBV/Mono the blood work should be able to let you know whether it was concieved recently, or if it had been in the system a while.  Ask your doctor, if they could tell you that.
As far as me, I was diagnosed with EBV about a year ago....felt fine, and then in the past month, I got symptoms that look like MONO...my doctors are not much help in giving me a clear diagnosis....so in the mean time...I'm alarmed about anything that happens inside this body.  Recently, I have been having some pains in my upper abdominal region....that is where the liver is.  I try to brush it off, eat healthy...and take vitamins....but it seems to persist.  I'm going to get more blood work done for my liver...and a total CBC, simply to check up on myself.
Hopefully the tests will come back fine, and I will guess that poor circulation....or something minor is bothering me.  I hope your test results come back fine too....be proactive and on the defensive....EBV is a virus, and although people think it just causes people to be tired...and have muscle aches....I think it brings about a lot more symptoms than that.  Good luck.