Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
Long-Term Effects of Mono?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

Long-Term Effects of Mono?

3 years ago I was diagnosed with mono. Immediately following that diagnosis & ever since I have gotten sore throats that last for weeks. They don't seem to have any consistency... I get them a various points in the year. Last Summer, my doctor tested me for allergies, and I came back negative on everything. Can this be related to the mono I had. I only wonder because it feels exactly the way that sore throat from Mono did. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Hi, that's a great question!  If you try searching through this forum for EBV/mono "relapses" or "re-activations", you will find that it's a much more common occurrence than you think.  Everyone is different, too; some people have symptoms like you, others (like me) just had fatigue (Lots of fatigue!).  Some of the most important steps you can take to try to avoid this are making sure you aren't constantly wearing down your body/immune system, avoiding stress, and taking multivitamins.  If it keeps happening and/or things don't improve, you may want to check with an infectious disease specialist.  Hope this helps!