Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
Mono..... Back and Furious

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

Mono..... Back and Furious

I worked myself into the ground this last January and February after a long run rebuilding my house. I really slowed down but seemingly not fast enough. i just got tireder and just kept feeling worst and worst absolutely horrible. My chest starting hurting really badly and i ended up in the hospital with what was eventually diagnosed as viral pericarditis there were a lot of side issues, but I am trying to keep this simple. Once the heart issues were resolved I still felt really sick. I talked to my Doctor, he doesn't go for the idea that Mono could have anything to do with it. I asked a nurse that works with him to order the tests for me and they came back positive for both EBV and Mono. My Doctor is still looking for another reason for why I am so tired. I don't know why he is such a disbeliever, but i believe this entire episode including the heart (pericardium) infection are all caused by the Mono. What do others think is going on? I am 68 years old, this is quite the relapse don't you think? So was that EBV hanging out in my saliva gland all of this time just waiting for me to get this low, this worn down? Is the only Western medicine route sleep? I am having a really hard time accepting this with the rest of the remodel still waiting all around me. Thanks for your help
I forgot to mention that I had had Mono when I was 18, so I really remember how that felt and was sure of myself all along that that was what i was feeling in the background of everything else.
Ya, been there.  Mono *****..But your doctor is doing right by continuing his investigation.  Only because it's a little more rare for somebody to get this at your age, and there could be something in the background the reactivated the EBV..Don't get me wrong though, I'm never surprised when it comes to Mono, it can be really severe for some people, others it barely has any effect. Good luck to you.
I'm not surprised at all to hear that your EBV results were high, given the circumstances you've described.  To answer one of your questions above, yes, the virus basically remains dormant in one's body for the rest of your life; however, many factors such as high stress or continued over-exertion can cause a "mono" relapse.  This is also common in instances where the immune system becomes compromised, either due to internal or external factors.  I don't know enough about the heart infection to comment on that, but from what I've heard, EBV relapses can become more severe with age, so it's very possible that the re-activation is causing other health problems.  And unfortunately, the best way to get over it is, as you said, to get lots of rest.  Please let us know how things progress for you; I wish you the best!