Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
My history and questions

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

My history and questions

I was wiped out 2 and a half weeks ago. I had a mild fever, stiff neck, sore back, swollen lymphnodes and fatigue. These symptoms lasted  between 1-2 weeks. I have tried to pick back up my normal activity but am still exhausted and still uncomfortable from the stiffness. When trying to exercise I am dizy, exhausted, very high hear rate(205) and my body can't keep up. I had mono back in fall of 2004 and a relaspe early 2005. Luckily I do not feel as horrible as I did then.. The room is not spinning and if I break a fever it is just low grade. However my fatigue feels just like when I was trying to recover. I went to a walk-in clinic and they said I was fine. Just wondering if this fits the profile for EBV since the doctor didn't have time to investigate further, I am supposively fine. One question I have is if it is possible to reactivate EBV and give your partner mono at the same time? I started looking into this because my partner has been feeling ill for a while now and ultra sound results showed enlarged spleen. So we should hear if it is mono in a day or so. In the meantime I am trying to figure out what could be going on with me.
hi. i had mono about a year ago. Ever since then I haven't felt well. I have been getting tireder, weaker, headaches.. you name it. After a year of frustration my family and doctors have come to the conclusion that I may have CFS ( chronic fatigue syndrome). It is possible for a virus( mono) to trigger this syndrome. EBV is what researchers believe causes mono. Mono can live in your system for up to 2 years so it is very well a possibility that your husband has it ( especially if his spleen is enlarged). How long have you been this way?
dear feelingblues,  I am convinced if I don't have cfs, I have something very similiar.  I have been taking,  coenzyme q 10 100 mg daily,  multivitamins and echinachea, to ensure my immunse system stays strong?  I am not 100 percent but I am having more stability and enjoying life more.  I am here and I know what you are going through,  this is a terrible illness.  However it can be overcome,  stay positive, stay connected,  your friend.
Almost five years ago, I was the sickest I have ever been in my life. It lasted about 5 days. I didn't think much of it though after I was better.  However, after that illness, I started feeling fatigued way too easily, would have shortness of breath, my iron levels were really low.  It has been a struggle since then to find out what is wrong. Finally, my pulmonologist ran tests that showed active EBV and he diagnosed me with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Trying to get help for it is so very hard. I too, take supplements but have found no relief from them yet. You have to realize that you may never be the same again and learn to deal with how you feel now. I do know that if I do too much one day, I pay for it for 3 days. So learn to pace yourself and get lots of rest. I try to get as much rest as possible. and yes, you could have given it to your partner.
I hope you will get answers soon!