Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
On Average - When is worse over?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

On Average - When is worse over?

Woke up at 4 am with such a swollen throat that I felt like I was choking ( on lack of being able to snore prbly).
At this time - no other symptoms were noticeable.
Spent 4 hours waiting for doctor's office to fit me in - Finally got diagnose of MONO. As I was leaving and dreaming of my pillow and sleep - my 15 yr old son called from school. Yep, he was sick too with the same symptoms. So back to the doctor's office I go for him (I drug my youngest son with us too - of course he was fine). After another 4 hours - we went by HEB and loaded up on juices and rented some redbox movies.
By 10 pm, I was crying because my throat hurt to swallow water, Self diagnosed MIGRAINE, I wanted to hurl, sore tummy, desperately wanted to sleep but felt too awful - plus I was caring for my 15 yr old who felt the same - and attempting to be a mom to my 11 yr old too. My hubby is out of town working while we are supposed to be packing for our relocation in 2 weeks.. Please advise how long the worst part lasts - I know it's general and different for everyone - but is their an average... I am in tears already - I can't sleep, my son can't sleep and we feel TERRIBLE!

Please oh please have some good news -
Tags: mono
Sorry you and your son got mono. You can transmit it by kissing (transmitting saliva).  The symptoms overall can last 1-4 weeks. Your lymph nodes can stay swollen for two months that is why you felt like you were choking. The sore throat probably  a week or so and the fever should go down then too. You stomach is sore probably becuase your spleen can get enlarged so be careful. It can stay enlarge for a while You don't want to lift heavy things or you can potentially burst your spleen.  Then of course there is fatigue. Get as much rest as you can. It will pass. My sympathy goes out to you especially at this time of year. It is a common problem especially for children and teenagers. I guess you never got exposed before.  Keep us posted as to your progress. Take care.
Worse comes to worse you have to prescribed a specific type of steroids to decrease the swelling of your lymph nodes. Mine cleared out the following day after taking it. I forgot what it was called but you can ask your doctor about it. Otherwise like mkh9 said, just keep yourself rested.