Paediatric Mononucleosis
Hello, my 12 yo daughter started feeling unwell on 4th January, 37C temperature and sore throat. Developed white spots (plaques) in back throat tonsils overnight. Took her to doctor on 5th, who gave her 3 days of 500mg p/d Azitromicin antibiotic. Plaques increased ans well as temperature over next days. Took her to paediatrician on 8th and she prescribed Amoxicillin and throat swab+blood tests for liver and EB monotest, carried out on 9th. Got the results today 11th, mononucleosis positive. In the past days, the plaques (did not come off upon trying to swipe) have broadened to cover the whole tonsils with a whitish unremovable patina, the tonsils are so swollen they touch the uvula, her lymphonodes are enormous on sides of neck and swollen in armpits and groin. She is in great throat pain and gasps for air. Has continuous nose discharge and sinus congestion. Temperature has gone up to 39C. Have been giving ketoprophene pian killer as paracetamol is not sufficient, every 7 hours. The paediatrician came back today and was shocked at her tonsils, had never seen anything like them. Is all this normal? We parents are worried. Any opinions or advice? Should we be calling a specialist? Thank you very much. (Will add tonsil photo tomorrow)
I have mono right now and had a very similar thing happen- tonsils covered in whitish-gray pus that won't come off and very very swollen.  I'd been to a general practitioner earlier in the week but they referred me to a ear, nose, and throat specialist because I couldn't swallow or speak and kept choking (my tonsils were also touching my uvula).  The doctor said it did look very bad but not abnormal for mono- she said mono causes some of the worst cases of tonsillitis.  I was put on steroids to reduce swelling, a pain killer, and antibioitics to avoid infection.  I'm definitely still in pain but I can consume liquids and breathe easily now.  I'm obviously not an expert but I've literally had the exact same symptoms as your daughter and my from what my doctor said its nothing to be concerned about.  I would definitely take your daughter to a specialist though- they can check if there is a secondary bacterial infection and give your daughter medication so she can breathe/swallow better.  Good luck!  Oh also, I don't know if you've ever heard of neti pots or sinus rinsing with a saline solution, but I've been doing that for congestion and it's pretty helpful- makes breathing a little easier.