Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
Reactivated EBV

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

Reactivated EBV

I was first diagnosed with Mono in January 2005, then had a reoccurence in July 2006.  Now, have it again.  This time isn't quite as bad-no sore throat-but, extremely tired.  I am 44 years old.  I am wondering if this has occured to anyone else, and why it keeps reactivating.  I am not any more stressed than normal.  I keep reading it usually doesn't reoccur, and when it does, there's rarely symptoms.  Help anyone??
i am 43 and i think actually i am more then sure i have it again after a very bad year of stress and a lot of racing ( 2 ironman and marathons) i had an episode of food poison and right after my symptoms are back out. i had sore throat now lymph nodes and a little rash. by the way my first episode was 10 year ago so welcome to the group. i hope you will feel better. jimmy
Unfortunately it can come back and multiple times. Once you've had it it remains in your body for life but your immune system is supposed to suppress it to keep it dormant. The problem is that for many of us who got it in the first place our immune systems are too weak to keep it at bay so we get it again. I got it when I was 19 back in 2001. Took me three years to get over and caused my thyroid to go haywire and due to the antibodies from the EBV no amount of thyroid medication could get my thyroid straightened out until the EBV went into remission. Three years later I got really stressed and relapsed and there went my thyroid again. Kind of hard explaining to people you have mono but are gaining weight uncontrollably (since it usually causes weight loss). I'm now almost three years into this case of active EBV and just keep hoping my body can fight it. I'm trying a homeopathic med though and hoping it can get my immune system to finally make it go back into remission. I'm really hoping it will work and will tell everyone I can if so.
wich homeopathic med you try please ?
It's the EBV series therapy from Deseret Biologicals. So far haven't seen any results yet so I have no clue if it's working. I'm trying to work with my doc to find out how long it should be before I can expect results- getting a bit frustrated at the moment. Obviously I cannot recommend it or warn against it yet since I don't know but I'm trying every available thing out there.
Hi!  It's true that EBV stays in your body the rest of your life.  Unfortunately there are many things which can cause the symptoms to come back, just one of which is stress.  Also unfortunately, it seems that the symptoms can be hit/miss, like when I had a relapse I only had a little sore throat but MAJOR fatigue.  So I would try to really rest now as much as you can, so hopefully you can get over this relapse quickly.  It may be worth looking into a multivitamin/supplement if you're finding that you continue to have relapses.  I've been taking One-A-Day since my second relapse; I can't say for sure how much it helped, but it certainly can't hurt!
I should've added that I don't know where you're getting your information (about relapses not being common), but from what I've heard, it's at least somewhat common.  Hope things start going better for you!
Yes, I first got it in 2001, I have since had it about 5 times. Every year for the past 4 years. I'm 32. It's really hard, I know...
did you check your blood titers every time? or do you have the same symptoms? a friend of mine infectious disease guy told me that even if your titer are normal you could have symptoms in period of stress or if you have your immune system down. i hope you will feel better. i am doing an herbs detox and i avoid pork, sugar and wheat. good luck.