Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
Reactivated EBV

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

Reactivated EBV

I was recently diagnosed with a reactivated case of EBV.  On the CDC website is says that most people do not experience symptoms with reactivated EBV.  I can't seem to find much information about people that have symptoms with it.  I definetely have symptoms, just like when I had mono back in 1996.  However this time I am  experiencing all over body pain along with the fatigue.  I am basically just existing...doing the bare minimum at home, work and life to get by. I am at least one month into this episode.  Hopefully it will not last long, because I have a boss that truly does not understand and I am not sure that my boyfriend gets it either.  I have a high threshold for pain and illness, but this has totally wiped me out.  I am using my last sick day today and won't get any more until June.  Can anyone tell me about their experience with reactivated EBV?
I had EBV in '03 and it reactivated in 2006. I had symptoms both times, but the 2nd time they were a bit more mild. I still could not go to work for several weeks, and it took just as long to get better the 2nd time as it did the first...but it WILL get better. I just did my best to manage my symptoms and try to just rest and be patient.
Thanks.  Being patient is the hard part.  Did you experience pain and weakness?  I don't recall having that the first time.  Unfortunately, I don't think my doctor understands how extreme the fatigue is.  I guess it is one of those things that you can't comprehend unless you experience it.
You completely discribed word for word what I am going through now, I have had 4 reactivations with 2 of them inthe last 4 months . The 3 was dec my levels were back to normal in Feb.  And 2 weeks ago the symptoms came back and showed "a new infection" im so frustrared, I cant find any doctors who truely understand this. I too am just making it through the day . If you come across any info please please let me know ,
I have a reactivation of EBV with similar symptoms.  I have heart palpitations, extreme fatigue, anxiety, low stress tolerance, body aches, headaches, head pressure etc.  I have many more symptoms but won't go on and on.  I only found relief when I saw a Naturopathic Doctor which is a N.D.  She ordered the correct blood tests (a Viral Panel) on the first visit which revealed a reactivation of EBV.  A Naturopathic Doctor in your area might help!  I had seen many M.D's, a cardiologist, General Practitioners, Psychiatrist, Therapist etc. After seeing about 5-6 M.D.'s over the course of about 1 year I still had no relief and was getting progressively worse that I had to go on medical leave from my job.  Only after seeing the Naturopath did I start to see results of feeling better.  A Naturopathic Doctor in your area may provide the help needed! You can Google them to find in your area.  
My 21 year old daughter was diagnoised with micoplasma pnemonia (pneumonia) 3 years ago, since then she is sick every 3-4 months.  Throat gets swollen, red, white patches ect.  She just got her blood work back and now  she has ebv her number was 33,695, which is really high. She was also exposed to the swine flu in 2009 on a senior trip to mexico.  I am waiting to see an ID doc. I guess i am driving myself crazy online researching all kinds of things keep coming up, the scariest is lymphoma.  I guess they are all connected, I just want her to feel better. Any positive supportive info would be appriciated.
Gerry