Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
Swollen lymph nodes: normal or cause for concern?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

I've been dealing with EBV for at least two years now and I hate to admit that I think I have chronic EBV.  I'm male, late twenties, active, able to hold a job, try to stay health conscious with food, exercise, am a non smoker.  I've experienced many crazy symptoms since getting EBV and after being tested a year later my EBV levels have not decreased at all since the beginning.  Symptoms have included: tingling, numbness, foggyness, fatigue, spreading/ traveling ache or malaise, change in physical stamina and muscle definition, swollen lymph nodes in groin, armpits (but not directly inside) buttocks, stomach I think too.  I do have medical insurance and have tested my CBC regularly every 4 months or so, tested my liver function every four months or so, and with those things consistently coming back fine/ normal, my primary physician is satisfied.  Of course, I don't want to spend money needlessly if my doctor is right and once you get EBV, you let it run its course, and if it is chronic, you just have it for life....but statistics suggest that 90 % of the population has EBV, so don't worry.  But on the other hand, I do have medical insurance, thank goodness, and don't want something like a cancer forming lymphoma to take over this body or to catch me by surprise.  Right now, the lymph nodes in my groin and armpits are full and have been for a while.  Would anyone suggest me pressing my doctor about this?  Do many people with EBV out there, do you currently not have any swollen lymph nodes? Is it possible that my body would be healthier if they were removed? I know only a doctor can really answer the last question, but I've heard of people removing lymph nodes and I thought it helps trap and stop the sickness in the body.  Thanks for anyone's and everyone's help.    
Hi, sorry to hear what you're going through!  I really don't have any answers for you, as I haven't been through chronic EBV... I'm more just trying to "bump" this thread so more people have a chance to see it.  Have you made any changes in your lifestyle due to your symptoms (specifically, are you trying to rest as much as possible)?  The only other possibility I can think of is Chronic Fatigue, but I'm not entirely sure how your symptoms fit in with that.
I have chronic EBV and my levels last I checked were off the charts. I have swollen lymph nodes under my armpits and ears. It's been a rough road but I have found exercise has helped me tremendously. I really only feel the nodes really swell up and the fatigue kicks in heavy if I don't exercise for a few weeks.

I was diagnosed with EBV last May. The doctor said I was going to have it from 3-6 months but I still have a swollen node in my neck, still get fatigue regularly, and sometimes run a low grade fever. You mentioned having the node removed. Sometimes I romance the idea of sticking a needle in my neck and extracting everything from the node. Kidding of course, but I feel your pain on this one. I've even named the node...Fred. Anyway, I have been a runner for quite a few years. As this disease continues beating me up, I find that I hike more than run now and I try to get a full night sleep. The mid-afternoon timeframe is bad for me and I actually feel worse when I pump up on vitamins. Crazy disease and it will surely contribute in the death of me but I will keep being active and stay off of the lazy boy as much as possible. Fred and I wish you the best.
Does anyone with EBV taken any antiviral meds? If so what is it.  I thought acyclovir/ valacyclovir combined with ribavirin could help
Any update on what was going on? I am experiencing alot of the same symptoms as you and also very concerned about my swollen pelvic lymph nodes. It has caused testicular pain for me which is very scary as well. I have had ultra sound, cat scan, blood test, xrays to check for anything in my body with no results or answers, it is extremely depressing way to live. I went from competing in bodybuilding competetions to not even making it to the gym and having a hard time just getting out of bed to go to work, more because of me fearing my symptoms then actual fatigue. Although i am very fatigued dont get me wrong. Please any feed back would help.