Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
Test Results

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

Test Results

I just received my test results and wondering if someone could help me with an explanation. Dr. breezed over them really quickly and I'm a little confused. I had Mono about 22 yrs ago. Do the following results mean it reactivated and if so, is it still active? Thanks :)

EBV N uclear Antigen Ab, IgG  >8.0
EBV Early Antigen Ab, IgG  3.1
EBV Ab VCA, IgG  >8.0
Sorry, I forgot to post the normal ranges, here they are:

EBV Nuclear Antigen Ab, IgG   Result:  >8.0   Range:  0.0-0.8

EBV Early Antigen Ab, IgG         Result:  3.1     Range:  0.0-0.8

EBV Ab VCA, IgM                         Result:  0.5     Range:   0.0-0.8

EBV Ab VCA, IgG                         Result:  >8.0   Range:  0.0-0.8

Hi, I'm not a doctor, and it's been a while since I've looked at any results, but from what I can gather, it does look like a re-activation.  This makes sense, too, since you said you initially had mono a long time ago.  As far as the virus still being active, that's difficult to say.  I'm assuming you've had symptoms recently, and that is why you were tested.  I would say as long as you're having symptoms, you can be almost certain the virus is active and that your body is working to suppress it.  Like I said, I'm not a doctor, but hopefully I have helped/pointed you in the right direction.  Don't be afraid to ask more questions!
Thanks so much for your help. I sure have had symptoms, for almost 2 years now, and been tested for everything under the sun. This is the first test that has shown anything.
I'm now wondering if EBV can cause numbness, tingling, pain, muscle spasms in the extremeties. These are a few of the symptoms I have had. I have also more recently been getting a facial and neck rash (no pain or itching). Derm says it might be Rosacea, but not sure.
I haven't personally experienced any of those additional symptoms you described, but I've seen all of them listed by others in this forum.  You may have to go back a little ways to find them, as I think it's been a while since those topics were discussed.  But hopefully it will make you feel a little better to know that you're not alone in going through all this!
The EBV titers are confusing to understand.  I always have to go back and review them to try and understand it.  The Viral capsid antigen (VCA)-IgM, VCA-IgG and D early antigen (EA-D) are ordered to detect a current or recent infection.  

VCA-IgG and Epstein Barr nuclear antigen (EBNA) are ordered to detect a previous infection.  

As a layman trying to interpret your results:  It shows for sure that you have had a previous infection.  I think to find out about a reactivation, you may have to redraw some of the labs to see a trend as some titers can remain positive in some individuals (ie:the early antigen).  

Your results:                          
EBV Nuclear Antigen Ab, IgG   Result:  >8.0, Becomes positive in 2 – 4 months, then present for life.

EBV Early Antigen Ab, IgG  Result:  3.1, Positive in about a week, usually gone in 2 weeks, persists in 20% of people

EBV Ab VCA, IgM   Result:  0.5, Appears first, gone in 4-6 weeks

EBV Ab VCA, IgG   Result:  >8.0  If negative susceptible, it appears within a week of infection, then present for life.

Hope it helps in some way,
K
Thank you so much for your response, you have been very helpful. :)