Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
Want a Mono Answer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

Want a Mono Answer

My wife and I have been Married over 20 years and both have been faithful to each other. In a recent blood test she was diagnosed. with Mono. Is it possible for her to develop Mono.She does work in Education with children but because of the virus it can only be transferred thru close physical contact (salvia)? Even if I was with other people over 20 years ago?. I have never had Mono to my knowledge) could I transfer it to her?after 20 years.
We do have a "kissingly active" teen age son could the virus be transferred thru utensils, drinking bottle or glass from him?
Tags: mono
If you grew up in North America chances are really high 90% ish that you were exposed to this virus as a child (very mild often un-noticed) and therefore have antibodies and are immune.
That being said it is very contagious and transmission is not limited to kissing or sex. Poorly washed utensils shared drinking glasses ect.
I would guess that being around children would greatly increase the risk of exposure.