Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
What's the meaning of "old exposure to EBV"?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

I was reviewing my medical records a few days ago in preparation for an upcoming medical exam with a new rheumatologist. I was diagnosed in 2005 with fibromyalgia, and I had a LOT of tests run on me during that time as my then-doctor worked on ruling things out prior to making the FM diagnosis.

One of the bloodwork results said there was evidence of "old exposure to Epstein-Barr virus." I don't remember if it gave any figures or results though. My question is, what exactly does that mean? I still have EBV? Could it be dormant or is it active? How could I have had it and not been aware of it?

Lyme has always been in the back of my mind owing to the location and nature of my childhood (high incidence area), but I've never had a positive Lyme result. I'd really like to know what this EBV exposure means in practical terms for me today. Thanks.

Becca
Hi and yes to answer your question it means you have been exposed in the past to EBV. Once you have been exposed to it then you have it for life. You can get it as a child and you have a cold like or mild symptoms or if you get it as an adolescent then you get infectious mononucleosis symptoms, fever, swollen lymph nodes in the throat area, fever,. A lot of people don't get the classic symptoms of mono. So then the virus resides in a few cells in the throat and in the blood for life. It can be reactivated off and on throughout your life but you won't have any symptoms but can transmit the virus. About 95% of people have been exposed to the virus by adulthood. It is common. It is very rare to get complications from EBV. Such as chronic fatigue or Burketts Lymphoma etc. Do you have symptoms you are worried about now? You question sounds like you are worried about Lyme?