Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
Worried for my daughter

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

Worried for my daughter

Hi, My 19 year old daughter was just diagnosed with mono, and it worries me terribly. She is at college, and swears she has not kissed anyone. I was hoping to find some things out here. First, can the blood test really tell her how long she has had it? They told her two weeks. I am worried it may be longer. Second, does she have to worry about getting EBS later? And, finally, she loves to give blood, and I was wondering if this will put a stop to it. Thanks for anyones help! J
Ebv is something ur born with, I'm not sure about blood test but blood can tell a lot!! She shuld be able to give blood
I think you should trust your adult daughter regarding the kissing. Because you can get mono from a shared cup or utensils in addition to other means such as, saliva or droplets and close contact or kissing. You can get mononucleosis from the Epstein Barr virus (EBV) or Cytomegalovirus (CMV). Both of these viruses remain with you for life. But you don't have disease after the initial infection. With EBV it is the usual cause of mono. If it is CMV you can get it as a child too. However, they did antibody testing or they wouldn't know if it was a recent infection or a long time infection. You get IgM antibodies first within about 10-12 days after getting exposed then these antibodies drop off and you get IgG antibodies. So, if she is positive for IgM then it is an acute and current infection, and the IgG would usually be negative. Then you get IgM negative and IgG positve. I don't know about blood donation but I haven't heard whether they screen for antibodies for EBV or CMV but of course she can't donate for a couple of months until she is over the illness.She should drink lots of fluids, gargle with salt water for the sore throat, avoid contact sports as the spleen can get enlarged. She will be contagious for 2-3 months. Usually, there is about 10 days of fever, the spleen can be enlarged for up to 4 weeks,fatigue will last 2-3 months. The virus gets into your cells and stays there and after the symptoms go away the virus usually remains dormant or occasionally can recur  but the person becomes a carrier and is not symptomatic but can spread the virus to others.   I know this must be very stressful for you but she will be ok. Just help her to get extra rest.  I'm just giving you the information you need to know.
take care,
mkh9
Thanks for answering! You have given me great info. I was worried that she may have had it longer than they seem to think. They told her she has had it for two weeks, and I didn't know how they could be so sure. They must of done the antibody test. I will ask her if she had lgm or lgG, but she probably won't know. I wish I could call and ark them, but I know they won't tell me anything. She is usually careful about all my warnings, thats why I was wondering how she got it. I can't tell her to be careful of every restaurant she eats in! It seems unfair for a careful smart girl to get a disease that will haunt her all her life.  Thanks again!!
I'm glad to help. Hope she gets better soon.
mkh9
the most important thing is to help her recovering from EBV.
Hi, everything mkh9 has told you is spot-on.  I really wouldn't worry about how your daughter got the illness, as that's not important now.  In fact, about 90% of adults have acquired EBV at some point in their life, by age 30.  Also, I'm not sure where you got the idea that the "disease will haunt her all her life", but that's innaccurate.  While it's true that the virus remains in one's body the rest of his/her life, in the vast majority of people it remains dormant after the initial infection has been fought off.  There are small possibilities of re-activations (or "relapses"), which can be triggered by other illnesses, stress, etc.  But by and large, most people aren't affected anymore once they've gotten over the initial sickness.  So hopefully that will cheer you (and her) up a little!  God bless!