blood donation
Hi, new here.  Can donating blood trigger an EBV reactivation?  I've been diagnosed with EBV but suffer only occassional and mild bouts of it.  I stopped donating blood after a suspected that it was triggering EBV, but couldn't positively link it.  I stopped donating blood for about a year, and I've been free of EBV symptoms for over a year too.  Two weeks ago I got a call from the blood bank, so I decided to donate and see what happened.  A week after donating I tried to do a little running and totally bonked.  I've been suffering headache, fatigue, and nausea since then (4 days now).  Did the blood donation trigger what seems to be EBV?
Cancel
3 Answers
Page 1 of 1
650547_tn?1271776798
Hi Bud, and welcome!  Sorry to hear that you've had a relapse.  From what you've said, it sounds like you're pretty confident donating blood has had at least somewhat of an impact on your symptoms, and I would probably agree.  However, there could have been other factors as well, such as the running/exercise.  Maybe next time you should try 2 weeks of resting after donating blood, before running.  I hate to tell you to not give blood because it's a wonderful thing to do to help others, and it's greatly needed; but if it's affecting your health negatively I guess the decision is up to you on whether or not it's worth it.  I donated blood regularly until I got mono a couple years ago, and I haven't donated since.  I do want to, but I know that donating blood takes energy (since your body has to replace the blood), and I've just been afraid of possibly causing a relapse.   :-(
Comment
Cancel
650547_tn?1271776798
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
1765059_tn?1313542675
I donated blood yesterday morning, and was prompted to do a search for donation's effects on EBV because of how I've felt since then.  I know it's only the second day in, but I've felt so awful - that well-known, relapse awful - and I can't help but feel like there might be a connection.  Unfortunately, I'm not finding much information regarding it on the interwebs.  I'll keep looking, and if I find anything, I'll post it here.
Comment
Cancel
1765059_tn?1313542675
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
650547_tn?1271776798
Hi, I know your post was a few days ago, but I was just wondering how you're feeling/doing now... did it turn into a relapse (I hope not!!)?
Comment
Cancel
650547_tn?1271776798
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
blood donation
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703