Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
blood donation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

blood donation

Hi, new here.  Can donating blood trigger an EBV reactivation?  I've been diagnosed with EBV but suffer only occassional and mild bouts of it.  I stopped donating blood after a suspected that it was triggering EBV, but couldn't positively link it.  I stopped donating blood for about a year, and I've been free of EBV symptoms for over a year too.  Two weeks ago I got a call from the blood bank, so I decided to donate and see what happened.  A week after donating I tried to do a little running and totally bonked.  I've been suffering headache, fatigue, and nausea since then (4 days now).  Did the blood donation trigger what seems to be EBV?
Hi Bud, and welcome!  Sorry to hear that you've had a relapse.  From what you've said, it sounds like you're pretty confident donating blood has had at least somewhat of an impact on your symptoms, and I would probably agree.  However, there could have been other factors as well, such as the running/exercise.  Maybe next time you should try 2 weeks of resting after donating blood, before running.  I hate to tell you to not give blood because it's a wonderful thing to do to help others, and it's greatly needed; but if it's affecting your health negatively I guess the decision is up to you on whether or not it's worth it.  I donated blood regularly until I got mono a couple years ago, and I haven't donated since.  I do want to, but I know that donating blood takes energy (since your body has to replace the blood), and I've just been afraid of possibly causing a relapse.   :-(
I donated blood yesterday morning, and was prompted to do a search for donation's effects on EBV because of how I've felt since then.  I know it's only the second day in, but I've felt so awful - that well-known, relapse awful - and I can't help but feel like there might be a connection.  Unfortunately, I'm not finding much information regarding it on the interwebs.  I'll keep looking, and if I find anything, I'll post it here.
Hi, I know your post was a few days ago, but I was just wondering how you're feeling/doing now... did it turn into a relapse (I hope not!!)?