cmv and ebv testing
I tested negative for monospot in office but positive for ebv (low EA, high everything else).  My first question is...What exactly does the monospot test for?  Would it come back positive if I had cmv as well?  I'm also unclear on exactly what mono is.  Is it a disease, virus, or symptom?  Mono, epstein barr, and cmv seem to be used interchangeably.  Do I also need  to be tested for cmv?
Mononucleosis is a sickness caused by Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) or Cyto-MegaloVirus (CMV).  The monospot test checks for mononucleosis, but it's not always accurate.  In my case, I had multiple monospot tests come back negative (in fact, I never tested positive), but due to my high EBV test results, I got the diagnosis of mono.  The reason EBV, CMV, and mono are used interchangeably is because mono can be caused by either EBV or CMV (or both); generally, if you have an acute infection of either, you're considered as having mono... hopefully that helps clear things up a little on those 3.  Since you have tested positive for EBV and therefore have mono (unless it's an EBV re-activation), I don't think there's any reason to get tested for CMV.  Even if you find it's positive, there's really nothing they can do for it (same as EBV).  The only "cure" is to get as much rest as possible and let the sickness take its course as your body fights it off.  Eating healthy and taking vitamins may also help a little, but rest is by far the biggest factor in helping get over EBV.