Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
daughter with mono

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

daughter with mono

My daughter was diagnosed  with mono 5 weeks ago. Her md started blood work because her white blood cells were very low (1.5). They have since went up to 3.4. My question is I'm worried that something else is going on with her. She is still having symptoms after 5 weeks. These include fever, naseua, headaches, and withing the past 2 months has put on 10 pounds. She didn't have any symptoms when we took her to the dr. The reason we took her was because her legs were swelling. She had one leg that was double the size of the other one. She is still having all of these symptoms as of today. Should she still be having these symptoms? Should I get a second opinion? She is 10 years old.
has the fever lasted 5 weeks or is it new?  Fevers rarely last that long with mono..Also swelling in one leg is not a symptom of mono either..Also it is unusual for someone so young to get mono.
Hi, this doesn't really sound like mono to me, either.  Usually mono is less severe in younger people, but whatever this is, it's pretty severe, so I would think it's something else.  Also, people are much more likely to lose weight from mono than to gain weight.  It's also strange that her white count is so low.  I would suggest checking in with an infectious disease specialist, because this really does not sound like typical EBV/mono.
i am 73 years old ,had aHeart atack a year ago  I thought that is why i was so tired,I have a stif neck  that will not go away, I am sick to my stomach  , I went to my doctor and she did blood work and says I have mono , how long before the bones and stif neck goaway ,
A lot of it depends on your immune system. What you describe sounds like mono. Consider taking short nap and good vitamin to get some relief from stress. Fatigue is also an issue with mono. Any form of stimulant should help with fatigue.