Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
question on EBV test

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

question on EBV test

Hi all

I am suspecting that I have ebv in a recent exposure 1month plus ago with fatigue, photophobia, dry mouth and dry cough that won't go away and I am now waiting for the test results.

The test that I did was EBV EA-IGA blood test.

Can I know the accuracy of this test and what does this test detects in the blood? Thanks very much!
Well, usually the test you for EBV Early antigen-or EA-D IgG, Viral Capsid antibody or VCA-IgM and VCA-IgG and EBV nuclear antigen or EBNA.

It is accurate but the antibodies can be variable with the EBV EA-D IgG.

When VAC-IgM and VCA-IGA is positive then it is new infection.  EA-D-IgG can also be positive in early infection but it also remain positive in 20% of people for the rest of their lives. if EBV-NA is present it is past infection.

The EBV-IGA can also be a test for nasopharngeal carcinoma. So I don't know why the doctor is testing the IGA instead of the IgM. Is there any talk about your nasal area being suspect as a problem? But they usually do a quantitative test when they are looking for this type of problem and look for certain markers. So it is unusual to see just the IgA being tested.

The symptoms of mono are very sore throat, high fever, swollen lymph nodes, fatigue and sometimes swollen spleen and/or liver.

Do you have any lesions on the nose area? If not they are probably just checking for mono. Have you had a complete blood count lately? Was it normal?

The symptoms you have are more like Mycoplasma pneumoniae or Chlamydophila pneumoniae. Did you get the symptoms after a flu or cold?

mkh9
hi sorry for the late reply have been overseas and a big thanks for your time and reply, i have experience mild post nasal drip also for about 2 weeks till now. i only tested for monospot and ebv iga as it is only available in the clinic. the results came back negative for monospot test and 117 for ebv iga test which is in the equivocal range. I had a flu four weeks with a fever ago and went away. this is the 7th week since possible exposure since.
to add on: i have muscle twitches from the lower back to legs for about 4 weeks till now. Thanks!
So, your symptoms don't sound like mono at all. But, you could get a full panel for mono which includes the VCA IgG and IgM and EA IgGand EBNA IgG. The mono spot means nothing. It is totally inaccurate. It can only direct a doctor if you have the symptoms of mono and you didn't so it is a waste of money otherwise.

The muscle twiches may be low potassium or an imbalance in that plus the other electrolytes (sodium, potassium, chloride and CO2). Stress can cause that or not dehydration.  I can look up other reasons if you need me too but those are common ones. So you could get your electrolytes tested and/or a metabolic panel that includes the electrolytes.

Do you still have the dry cough? You could get the doctor to listen to your lungs and see if you might have Mycoplasma pneumoniae or get a PCR test for it. Usually they either give you an antibiotic if you have it or it will pass on its own if you have no immune problems. It takes a while. You can steam yourself. it makes you cough and breaks up the tightness and opens up the lungs and gets the bacteria out. Do you have pain when you breath in? Have you had a fever?

mkh9

Thanks for the information guess i will look for ways to get tested on the full panel for mono. I still have the cough but it seems to be better with mild post nasal drip now. i did not encounter any pain when breathing in. I got a fever during the 14th day since possible exposure which lasted for 2 days with lower back ache. I went to a doctor 2 weeks ago to check for chest infection and they did an x ray and informed me that its fine and no problem was found. Is is possible that i will not get mono even if im infected with ebv?
How many days has it been since your exposure to possible mono?
I think it has been past the window for getting it but I'll check anyway.
You still sound like you have Mycoplasma. It may not show on an Xray. Only classic pneumonia does (Strep. pneumoniae). Where do you live (U.S.? and if so what state?). Just trying to rule out Coccidiodes. That is a fungus that gives you a fever and dry cough for a long period of time too. It really sounds like Mycoplasma. But generally you get rib pain when you breath in . So far you have no symptoms of mono.
mkh9

today is the 1st day of the 7th week since last exposure to possible mono. I am currently living in SG where i guess "mono" is still quite "rare" so screening for mono is hard to find in clinics. I tested for mycoplasma on the 12th~13th day after possible exposure. It stated M hominis no growth. Is it accurate for the screening for mycoplasma? or should i wait for a month before screening for it. Thanks very much!
It takes 4-7 weeks to get mono. So you are about at the end of the time you would get it. So the symptoms you already have would be from something else. Where is SG? I don't know the initials. Mycoplasma hominis would not cause these symptoms only M. pneumoniae. If they did a PCR test it is accurate if they did a serology test it isn't that accurate and would depend on if you developed antibodies. Also whether they also checked for M. pneumoniae.  It would be better to get the PCR test done. But it just checks for presence of the bacteria. The serology you would have to get the IgM done at the beginning of the illness and IgM in 2-4 weeks to see if there is a 4 fold rise in the level of antibody. If you wait a month you can look for M. pneumoniae (not hominis) IgG but that will just tell you if you have ever been exposed and not recently.  M. hominis in the lung or throat is not a pathogen and doesn't cause disease there. It can cause problems in the genital tract. So they tested for the wrong bacteria. Unless they were using hominis as a negative control. I doubt it though.

So in short get a PCR test for M. pneumoniae. Either a sputum specimen or throat swab. Best to get a sputum or deep cough specimen.

mkh9

SG is singapore. Ok i will try to get a test on M. pneumoniae it seems quite rare for this kind of test in my region. I hope that it is really this that is causing the symptoms. What im worried now is the EBV EA- igA test that falls in the equivocal region at 117.

Negative :  126.5

Does M pneumonia cause painless sore on the penile head? And

im 24 this year, is it 100% that i will get mononucleosis symptoms if im infected with ebv?
Yes I understand. Well, your symptoms don't sound like mono. Also, if you don't have it by now I would say in about one week if you don't have it by then you won't get it. Or by the end of 7 weeks. If that has passed you should be okay.

No Mycoplasma pneumoniae causes respiratory tract symptoms. It has nothing to do with the penis or the genital tract. If you have a painless sore there could your exposure be related to getting an STD? If so what does the penis sore look like? Is it like a syphilis chancre? It is a single firm painless not itchy skin ulceration. If exposed and it looks like that you should get tested for it. If it is rough textured and not an ulcer it could be HPV or something else. So could also get tested for HPV by PCR. But they usually just test women for this and you usually have more than one.

Regarding your last question if you have previously been infected with EBV you won''t get mono. If it is a recent infection you could potentially fight it off. But since you are already near or past the time you would get the symptoms you probably won't get it.
mkh9

the two painless sores looks like fungi infection sore just 2 small red patch on the penile head. got tested for herpes and other stds, results are negative. though i haven't got tested for hepatitis.

I believe this exposure is my first exposure of ebv. Hopefully its not an ebv infection. Thanks for your reply and information!