Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
window period for the ebv vca blood test

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

Last Sunday I kissed a random girl in a disco. I didn't really have to do anything special, so I'm guessing I wasn't the only one she kissed that night or other nights before that. I know about infectious mononucleosis, and I have important university exams in less than a month, so I would like to reduce my chances of getting really sick during that period. I read that valaciclovir has been shown to shorten the duration and decrese the severity of mono. I'm also guessing that the sooner I start the therapy, the more effective it will be - and prophylaxis is better than cure. So I was wondering which the best strategy is to get a definitive answer, as soon as possible, to whether I was actually infected or not. I read that the EBV VCA Igm Igg become positive "soon after" infection, so is there any conclusive evidence regarding the window period for thes blood tests? Are there any other more sensitive tests, such as EBV PCR, that could be recommended in my case? I don't want to make a big deal out of this, because after all it is a pretty common disease and I probably don't even have it, but I really really cannot afford to get sick, so I would like to be as cautious as possible. If there are any flaws in my reasoning, or any alternative strategies you could recommend following to decrease my chances of getting sick please let me know. Thank you.