Erectile Dysfunction Expert Forum
54 years old: why is my penis starting to bend during erection?

Questions in the Erection Concerns Forum are being answered by Janice M Epp, PhD, a Clinical Sexologist from The Institute for Advanced Study of Human Sexuality. This forum is for questions and discussions about the psychological aspects of Erection problems or erectile dysfunction.

Hi, I am 54 years old and in the past two months have noticed that the tip of my penis bends sharply to the left during erection.  This has never happened before.  You should know that three months ago, my girlfriend was killed in a tragic accident on her Vespa and I found her body but couldn't save her.  Three weeks later I lost my job as General Manager of a country club due to the economy and moved from Lake Tahoe back to Scottsdale.  We had both resigned from two different country clubs in Scottsdale prior to our move to Tahoe to start a new life but with the loss of Denise and the job, I couldn't stay.  The anxiety and depression issues started me taking Lexapro and Niravam, but I gave up the Lexapro a month or so ago.  I am taking too much of the Nivaram but until I can find a good psychiatrist, don't have a choice as I simply can't breath without it.  Could this erection problem be related to all of these stress and medication issues or should I be "worried" about something else?  Frankly, I would be embarassed to be intimate with anyone else with this issue.  Thanks so much for any help, this would be hard to talk to a doctor in person.
  • curvature (1 replies):
    I am 14yr old male, and have curvature of the penis (whi...[more]
  • curvature (1 replies):
    About two years ago i was having sex with my girlfriend ...[more]
  • Penis Curvature
    I have a penis curvature.my Penis is curved to the left,...[more]
  • curved penis (1 replies):
    hi, im 20 years old and ever since i can remember my pen...[more]
  • bent penis (2 replies):
    Im 27 years old,going to get married soon Im in a embarr...[more]
You've certainly been through a stressful time in your life. Please accept my condolences on your loss. With time, you'll heal and begin to live your life again.

Some men worry about the curvature of their penis. Penises come in all shapes and when erect, they may curve to the left or to the right; or up or down; and some may not curve at all. This curvature can be there from puberty or happen later in life. This is part of the diversity of the human body and is not an issue unless the curvature is so extreme that it makes sexual activity painful. Since your curvature isn’t painful, it won’t inhibit sexual activity, so stop worrying.

And, no, the curvature isn't related to stress or drugs or anything else. As I said, unless it becomes extreme, it's nothing to worry about.

Once you decide to be sexual with a new partner, don't worry. As I said, the human body is diverse. Don't let anxiety cause you to short-circuit your ability to feel pleasure. Relax and accept your body as it is. Best of luck to you. Dr. J