Erectile Dysfunction Community
Alternating between viagra and cialis - is it safe?

Welcome to the Erectile Dysfunction community. Topics covered include drugs that cause ED, heart-related ED, kidney-related ED, impotence, multiple sclerosis, nerve damage, penile pumps, Peyronie’s Disease, questions to ask your doctor about ED, social issues regarding ED, stress, spinal cord injury, and surgery.

Overall I'm happy with viagra but sometimes its 5-hour window is simply too short.

Sometimes I need the longer lasting window of cialis.

Is it safe to take viagra and cialis based on how long you want the time-window to be?  For example I'm literally considering taking viagra during some weeknights and 1 cialis pill to cover the weekends.

As long as I dont overlap the dosages (i.e. take one while the other is still in me) is this ok?

Or is this too much of a burden to put on my system from a pharmaceutical perspective?
Keeping in mind that I am not a doctor: jumping back and forth between meds that do the same thing is not a good idea.  This could be bad for your system altogether, and could also have a negative effect on your sex life.  If I were you, I would not take the viagra, and simply stick with the cialis, that way, you always have the option of sex or no sex, without worry of if its working or not.  Blessings - Blu
Ask your doctor and/or the pharmacist, but as long as you give the drugs time to clear your system and you don't have any reasons you shouldn't be taking either of them, I see no problem with it.  I think it would be like taking ibuprofen some days and naproxen other days.
Hi Richard, are you saying that the drugs give you an erection for five hours, if you are getting this then you could be giving yourself trouble, its recommended if a man has an erection longer than 4 hours he should get off to hospital, your getting into the grounds of a priapism, this because the blood is just sitting there, it does not move, so if I was you just keep your erections to 3 1/2 hours.
Do you have an ED problem or are you doing this for recreation purposes?
No, NOHARD, the window of efficacy for Viagra is 5 hours.  I suspect what he is saying is that from the time he takes the Viagra, he can't predict how long until sexual intercourse. By the time sexual activity occurs, he is either late in the window of effectiveness or beyond the 5 hour window when the drug is designed to assist.