Erectile Dysfunction Community
Can viagra be a long-term cure for psychological dysfunction?

Welcome to the Erectile Dysfunction community. Topics covered include drugs that cause ED, heart-related ED, kidney-related ED, impotence, multiple sclerosis, nerve damage, penile pumps, Peyronie’s Disease, questions to ask your doctor about ED, social issues regarding ED, stress, spinal cord injury, and surgery.

Can viagra cure psychological issues by bringing confidence levels up and allowing the user to re-create his sexual labido?
I've tried a couple of pills and have found that my erections without viagra after are getting slightly better and more frequent (emphasis on the word slightly!).
First of all, you should see a urologist. There may be some underlying organic cause that you're not aware of and only a doctor can help with you that. If this is in fact a case of psychological ED, there are several solutions available.

PDE-5 inhibitors are very effective, even in cases of psychogenic ED. Viagra, Cialis and Levitra can improve your erections and make you more confident. Don't expect any miracles, though. Everyone is different and results vary greatly (this why you should try all three drugs to see which one works best for you). They are not anxiety drugs, they don't improve libido and there could be some serious side effects (e.g. headaches, tachycardia).

I believe that in cases of sexual performance anxiety, VIGAMED (oral phentolamine) may be better than Viagra. What happens when you get too anxious (fight or flight response)? Basically, the rush of adrenaline blocks peripheral blood circulation and inhibitis penile erections. This is where VIGAMED comes in. VIGAMED is not a PDE-5 inhibitor, it is an alpha blocker, it blocks alpha receptors in the penis and inhibits the effects of stress hormones. Your erections will be stronger, even after ejaculation. VIGAMED is not available in the US, but you can order it online

A third possible is valerian. Valerian root is a mild sedative and has none of the side effects of chemical anxiolytics. I always take 150 mg of valerian 30 minutes before sex and it works.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
Viagra works a treat for me. No problems whatsoever, only a flush to the face for side affects too.

Plus even though Viagra is extremely expensive, it also seems the cheapest method.

I am already seeing a urologist about this, but has been delaying my appointments for over a year now. I feel as though I will never get round it all (even if it's a serious condition) so all I can really do is help myself to some enhancers for the time being. And if they say they don't advise it in the end, well I can blame them for leaving me in the ditch for so long!

Thanks for your feedback.
Erectile Dysfunction questions?
100,000+ doctor answers