Erectile Dysfunction Community
Confused; Do I have ED? Porn and Type II Diabetes

Welcome to the Erectile Dysfunction community. Topics covered include drugs that cause ED, heart-related ED, kidney-related ED, impotence, multiple sclerosis, nerve damage, penile pumps, Peyronie’s Disease, questions to ask your doctor about ED, social issues regarding ED, stress, spinal cord injury, and surgery.

I will make this as short as possible. I am a male, I just turned 40 and have avoided being in a relationship for the past 10 years. I have solely concentrated on my career and going back to school. During that time two things have happened; 1) I developed type II diabetes, and 2) I have made a regular habit of masturbating to porn at least once everyday. Here is where I am confused as to what my issue might be. In terms of having real sex, I have not done so in many years, so I have no frame of reference when it comes to how my penis will respond with a real girl. When it comes to the porn, I can get a full erection, but I have to stay vigorous to maintain it, and if I do, I can ejaculate with no issues. When I am alone, however, I can't arouse myself just by touching myself, it just stays flaccid, and this leads me to believe that either one or two things is happening. 1) perhaps the porn has created a tolerance (over time) that wont allow me to get turned by non-porn stuff, and that wont allow me to get a proper erection for intercourse 2) that my type II diabetes has been a problem (albeit, I can get a full erection, so I dont think there is any damage with regard to blood flow and the vessels, perhaps is more psychological) or 3) its a combination of both of the above issues. Finally, does anyone think that Viagra can help me with regards to keeping my erection once I have it? Would I be a good candidate for Viagra? Any and all thoughts are much appreciated, as I am now seeing someone special and I have been driving myself nuts over the possibility of failing when we have sex for the first time (although when I kiss her I start to get an erection and this is with my clothes on, so I think that is a good sign).
The last sentence is very promising of course.  However, even if you do get an easy erection, will the same hold true for the future?  This isn't going to be a one-shot thing, you have to be thinking months down the line.  Will the 'same old, same old' set in, and you revert back to the 'stronger' porn?  That's the concern - I guess you can cross that hurdle when you get there.  Bottom line - if you can get aroused with her every time, then adding a little Viagra will maintain an existing erection (that's really what it does - prevents the blood from flowing back out), so it's a good fall back if you have a bad episode at some point.
...well, I plan on not looking at porn anymore, and I have not done so for a while; spending time with this girl is very satisfying. I have also, since about 2005, lost nearly 75 pounds (I am now 245 pounds) and continue to lose weight be working out and being strict with my carb intake. So, my basic logic was, my perceived problem is probably both physical and mental, so I thought why not use some Viagra to help me along.
Porn can and does desensitize the brain (not the penis) causing ED in men much younger than you. Your brain has changed. On our forums (for the last 4-5 years) we have seen men as young as 18 with porn-induced ED. They are amazed that porn is the cause, and amazed to see what happens as they stop using porn.

You need to learn about the brain science and what to do about it. Go to this thread. Look for my earliests 2 posts and there will be links to youtube presentations and articles. Read the posts.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Mens-Health/22-with-porn-induced-erectile-dysfunction/show/469209

PS - My dad was still having sex with women at age 80, after 20 years of type II diabetes. He didn't watch porn.