Erectile Dysfunction Community
ED Cure and/or Reversal

Welcome to the Erectile Dysfunction community. Topics covered include drugs that cause ED, heart-related ED, kidney-related ED, impotence, multiple sclerosis, nerve damage, penile pumps, Peyronie’s Disease, questions to ask your doctor about ED, social issues regarding ED, stress, spinal cord injury, and surgery.

ED Cure and/or Reversal

I have ED.  I’ve had it for more than 15-years.  About 20-years ago my doctor put me on beta-blockers (atenelol) for palpitations and accompanying anxiety attacks.  I believe it is not supposed to be taken more than a certain period of time.  I was on it for probably two years.  Thereafter I got so I couldn’t maintain an erection during sex.  I tried Viagra when it first became available, but it just caused a burning in my prostate area and a short-lived partial stiffening.  My wife was in menopause and having hot flashes at the time so at her suggestion I didn’t try to pursue the ED problem.

I’m now 67 years old and I haven’t had sex for years.  I get an occasional stiffening of the penis during sleep sometimes, but not hard enough for penetration.  I would like to recover from ED.  Do you think it would be OK to suggest or ask my doctor about testosterone or other medicine?  What would be the best approach?
HI,

I too have been suffering from ED since 1998 and I am 45 now. Mine is due to different issues like neurological, surgery on bladder neck, neurogenic bladder and more.

One of the things that my urologist did was to put me on testosteron injections to get my level to normal. The level was low due to having lost a testicle.
Another thing that the same urologist did was to try and inject a substance, "California Tri-mix", into the erectile tissue of the penis. Within about 15 minutes the penis was erect enough for penetration. Viagra did not work for me at all.

I'm currently off the Tri-mix due to a fistula in my prostate and rectum. I will need surgery to have this repaired and currently have a suprapubic catheter. The last time that my wife and I had sex, is about 2 years ago.

Talk to your doctor, urologist about the California Tri-Mix, it might work well for you.

Best wishes,

Ron
Don't give up! Things have improved a lot in the last 15 years in the field of ED treatment. Viagra is no longer the only solution: there are other PDE-5 inhibitors (Cialis, Levitra) and I suggest you try all of them to see which one is works best for you. There are also natural supplements (Vitamin E, Prelox) and other oral drugs: Vigamed (phentolamine mesylate) is an ED drug that promotes blood flow to the penis via the sympathetic system.

If these don't work, there are still many other options. Testosterone therapy has many risks and could be counterproductive. The famous tri-mix gel might be a safer option: I've heard great things about it but I never tried it. In the future, there will also be gene therapy, which may be the ideal solution for cases like yours.

Only a doctor can determine which one of these treatments is the most adequate for you. Good luck!
«About 20-years ago my doctor put me on beta-blockers (atenelol) for palpitations and accompanying anxiety attacks.  I believe it is not supposed to be taken more than a certain period of time.  I was on it for probably two years.  Thereafter I got so I couldn’t maintain an erection during sex.»

Yes, beta-blockers may have sexual side effects, including erectile dysfunction. Here's a list of drugs that can cause ED:

I've been on tri-mix for 15 years because of anti-depression drugs and it is great. The needles are so thin, it barely hurts and you are good and hard for quite a while. Try it. You just need to overcome the fear of jabbing yourself there and tell yourself the rewards are worth it.