Erectile Dysfunction Expert Forum
Erection Issues

Questions in the Erection Concerns Forum are being answered by Janice M Epp, PhD, a Clinical Sexologist from The Institute for Advanced Study of Human Sexuality. This forum is for questions and discussions about the psychological aspects of Erection problems or erectile dysfunction.

Erection Issues

I am 31 years old and seems like have some what of an erection issue for last 2 weeks. I easily use to get erection, in the morning I would regularly get erections as well. I am married and we have regular sex. Since last couple weeks I am having trouble getting erection or maintaining one.

My Symptoms,

Dull pain in the pelvic and groin on the right side.
A constant tingling on the right leg upto the toe.
Feel the pain mainly when I am laying down or sitting, the pain is not there when I am standing.
Have to try hard to get erection, when I am in the bed it is hard to get erection and if after trying hard I get erection it would be not hard enough or wouldn't stay for long.
I do get hard erection when standing up but still don't get it easily.
I do ejaculate.
While ejaculating or getting an erection I do feel pain in the groin and pelvic region.
Sometime my penis hurt as well.
It seems like when I am urinating it doesn't flow smoothly. Sometime I have some urine left and have to squeeze to get everything out.
I also get light burning sensation in the pelvic and region.
Slight lower back pain.

Past medical history

History of Kidney stones
Blood Pressure -- I do take Diovan every day.
Recently found that my B12 and my Vitamin D are very low. I started the vitamins couple weeks ago but have stopped taking them for almost 10 days now since I found out about the erection problem.

I have taken pain medicine, ibuprofen for 5 days, have tried hot and cold packs but none of this seem to have helped.

Wanted to get expert advise on this forum. Thanks in advance.
Hello.

Unfortunately, you're in the wrong forum. As it says above, this forum is for discussing emotional/psychological issues relating to erection concerns. If you’d like to ask a urologist your question, I suggest you post in the Urology Expert Forum at:

www.medhelp.org/forums/show/113

It sounds like pain may be interfering with your sexual response. I can only give you information about the emotional and psychological issues which contribute to erection concerns. If you consult a physician and find there are no organic causes, then you need to examine your feelings. I know. Guys hate to do that; however, more often than not, feelings and negative attitudes are what get in the way of sexual pleasure. Here's some general information for you.

Welcome to your 30’s! When you're younger and just beginning to be sexual with others, erections pop up everywhere--including when you don't want them! Post-pubescent men are highly excitable. After all, sex with a partner is new, and anything new is terribly exciting.

As you age, you'll find that erections sometimes take longer, and even come and go. This is not an indication if ill health, but just part of life.

Is it possible that you’re worrying yourself into this problem? In other words, once you began to worry, you stopped being able to enjoy yourself, so naturally, your erections disappeared, and you created a self-fulfilling prophesy. Often, anxiety and nervousness create a situation in which you can't relax enough to feel pleasure.

Worrying about erections is a dead-end street. All it will do is make you anxious, which will make your penis very uncooperative. And remember you don't need an erection to be sexual, have fun, experience pleasure, etc. Relax, enjoy your own unique sexuality and stop judging yourself.

For more information about male sexual issues, I recommend “The New Male Sexuality,” by Bernie Zilbergeld, Ph.D., widely available both used and in paperback. Best of luck to you. Dr. J