Erectile Dysfunction Community
Erections Not What They Used to Be

Welcome to the Erectile Dysfunction community. Topics covered include drugs that cause ED, heart-related ED, kidney-related ED, impotence, multiple sclerosis, nerve damage, penile pumps, Peyronie’s Disease, questions to ask your doctor about ED, social issues regarding ED, stress, spinal cord injury, and surgery.

Erections Not What They Used to Be

Kinda new to this but a little bit about myself. I'm 25, healthy, exercise regularly and for the most part take pretty good care of myself. My only vice is I'm a daily smoker of marijuana...(about one joint per day). My question is as follows:

Growing up, I've never had any erection issues. I did however, at one point experience a bit of performance anxiety, whereas I was prescribed some Viagra when I was about 20. After using this drug for a bit, I was able to finally overcome my mental block and resume a normal sex life without the assistance of pills.

Now, I've been with a new girl for a few months and have just recently stopped using pills to overcome my anxiety. (Funny...it only seems that I have this issue when I'm with girls I actually care about). Anyway, I've just stopped using the pills to have sex normally and have noticed that my erections are not as firm as they used to be. As in I need to be constantly touching myself or stimulating myself in an effort to maintain an erection. I can't necessarily just "sit back and enjoy the ride" as I would like to.

Let me be clear, I am able to have sex with my girlfriend without pills at this point. However, what's frustrating me is that it has become increasingly difficult for me to maintain an erection and it sometimes seems like it's more of a stress/hassle to have sex just because I'm constantly focused on maintaining a hard-on. Does it sound like I could have done permanent damage when using Viagra? I've seen a couple of urologists who indicated that if anything, Viagra would have helped me become more capable of having an erection after having taken it at such a young age and that I would not have caused permanent damage. They also did not think the marijuana use has much to do with it since I'm still very young and other than having a little bit of difficulty keeping my man up, I am in perfect health.

Also, is there a possibility this could be in my head? It's just hard to believe that a meer thought that has no substance could cause such a dramatic effect so I'm a bit skeptical. But I have noticed that this thought/anxiety does somewhat consume my thoughts most of the time. I'm constantly more anxious about seeing my girlfriend than happy to just take in what's going to happen. What scares me is that I see gorgeous girls or I think about gorgeous women being intimate and I don't get hard like I used to just by the thought of it. It's like I physically need to be touched for a while before I even get going. Just trying to sort this out.

Thanks all.

-SrfrDude
«It's just hard to believe that a meer thought that has no substance could cause such a dramatic effect so I'm a bit skeptical.»

I'm not an expert but you shouldn't underestimate anxiety - it may have drastic effects on a man's sex life. It's not just 'in your head'. Stress hormones have a vasoconstricting effect and prevent blood flow to the penis, thus blocking an erection (fight or flight response). To make matters worse, most anti anxiety drugs can decrease libido and worsen ED! There are exceptions, though. I've been taking a natural supplement called SEREDYN with good results. STABLON seems to be effective, too.

Marijuana may also have a negative impact on your sex life. I've never tried marijuana but many experts claim it can decrease libido.  

Anyway, you are young and healthy, so I'm sure things will improve with time. If the situation persists, however, only a doctor (urologist) can help you. You'll have to go through a series of tests to determine the exact cause of your problem. Good luck!