Erectile Dysfunction Expert Forum
Frequent/Excessive Masturbation and Erection

Questions in the Erection Concerns Forum are being answered by Janice M Epp, PhD, a Clinical Sexologist from The Institute for Advanced Study of Human Sexuality. This forum is for questions and discussions about the psychological aspects of Erection problems or erectile dysfunction.

I have to make this short.
I masturbate a lot, I normally do it about 4 times a day. I am 17 years old and I have been masturbating probably since the age of 12-13. I probably did it at least once a day if not more back when I first started. Im in a relationship and I masturbate a lot sometimes my girlfriend does it and we have sexual intercourse quite often. We gone through a two week period where we did it daily. I have frequent urination. I read about prostate cancer and how masturbation prevents it but those articles are old. I read a january 2009 article and it said that masturbation might lead to high prostate cancer risks if you do it in 20's. I had burning sensation before when i urinate but it happened no more than 5 times in my entire life so far. I want to know what health issues i might have. I also erect very easily when my girlfriend dirty talked me. I was craving to masturbate for the past 3 days but I tried stopping myself until today i couldn't resist anymore, i masturbated for about 20 sec and i ejaculated. my semen was first clearish white and not that thick, but near the end, it started becoming whiter and thicker. I want to know how to stop such habit and tips about it. What can I do to reduce my hormone level that causes me to be so crazy about sex? What are my health issues possible later on in life? please help.
Hi.

I can't believe you live in San Francisco (my home town), and yet you've bought into some myths in a magazine. It's  NOT true that self-pleasuring leads to high risk of prostate cancer. In fact, almost everything you read in any popular magazine is junk.

You're 16, and your hormones are raging. Sex is your JOB. That's what your body is telling you. Accept it, and it will serve you well. Here's some accurate information for you.

Let’s talk about what we DO know about self-pleasuring.

It’s the surest way to orgasm and the most effective way to learn about our sexual response cycle, as well as the surest way men to learn orgasmic control.  If you feel you come too quickly, the surest way to slow down is to teach yourself a new pattern via self-pleasuring.

Another advantage is self-knowledge: How can you show a partner what you like if you don’t know yourself?

And the #1 reason for self-pleasuring: it’s fun!

Self-pleasuring is a part of who you are sexually—for your whole life, not just when you don’t have a partner. People self-pleasure from birth to death, when they’re alone and when they’re partnered. It’s just one of many options we have as sexual beings. It’s not better or worse than partner sex, just different—like steak is different than chicken.

Remember that all our scientific data show that the people who take responsibility for their OWN pleasure have the best sex lives and rate themselves as happiest about their sexuality. So please stop torturing yourself, accept your sexuality as a gift and start enjoying life. Oh, and since you and your girlfriend are being sexual, be sure to use effective risk reduction. Remember: with great sex comes great responsibility. Dr. J
Thanks for clearing somethings up Dr. J. But I still can't really accept the fact that masturbating 6 times a day daily as being quite normal. =\
OK. Don't accept it--and be miserable.

OR, here's another idea: Go to www.scarleteen.com, learn all the facts about self-pleasuring, and get on with your life. Dr. J
Thanks for helping though. I really appreciate you for doing so Dr. J. It is much easier to talk about this subject with an expert online than in person.
I read eating a vegetarian diet reduces your need for sex/masturbation, you should read up on that.
And then try to get the willpower and self discipline to control your mind instead of leting it control you. It's damn hard and lots of people fail so don't get upset if you don't make it at first,but keep trying and it'll make you stronger.
A related discussion, Over Masturbation Health Risks was started.