Erectile Dysfunction Expert Forum
IS IT NORMAL?

Questions in the Erection Concerns Forum are being answered by Janice M Epp, PhD, a Clinical Sexologist from The Institute for Advanced Study of Human Sexuality. This forum is for questions and discussions about the psychological aspects of Erection problems or erectile dysfunction.

IS IT NORMAL?

My husband has an erection in his sleep every night! I want to know if this is normal and what does it mean? Sometimes he complains that it hurts because the erection lasts hours sometimes!!! He wakes up from the pain almost weeping. he does not see it as a big deal, but i am concerned what if it's something serious? what should I advise him to do?
Hello.

You are worried for no reason. What is happening to your husband is entirely physiologically normative and usual.

All healthy male bodies experience erection during sleep, especially during REM (rapid-eye-movement) sleep. This is part of the body's automatic response (like breathing) and is in no way harmful. In fact, women lubricate automatically during sleep as well.

If your husband isn't having orgasms regularly or very often, he may experience erections that are very firm or uncomfortable. If so, more frequent orgasms--either with himself or with a partner--may alleviate this. Remember: an orgasm a day keeps the doctor away! Dr. J