Erectile Dysfunction Community
Lack of Nighttime Erections

Welcome to the Erectile Dysfunction community. Topics covered include drugs that cause ED, heart-related ED, kidney-related ED, impotence, multiple sclerosis, nerve damage, penile pumps, Peyronie’s Disease, questions to ask your doctor about ED, social issues regarding ED, stress, spinal cord injury, and surgery.

Lack of Nighttime Erections

Hi All,

I'm no stranger to this forum but am looking for some insights into what the hell is wrong with me still. As I've mentioned in previous posts, I'm 6'7, 230 pounds, healthy as a horse. I do have some vices (e.g., smoke marijuana and casually smoke cigarettes) but other than that I have a healthy diet and exercise regularly.

So here it goes. In the past I've had some erection issues and have visited multiple urologists and primary care physicians to rule out any physical issues. Point being they've all concluded that this is more of a psychological problem than anything. Here's the thing though, I've always read that if it's in your head, however you are still experiencing morning hard-ons and nighttime erections, then it most def. is probably an anxiety issue. I, on the other hand, have not been experiencing fully hard nighttime erections for some time now. Either I will wake up and it'll be about 50% hard or not hard at all.

I've even noticed that when having sex with my girlfriend, I really have to focus all of my energy on just keeping my guy up to stay hard enough for penetration. I'm going to be 25 years old in February but am concerned whether or not my lack of nighttime erections is a normal thing or if my "performance anxiety" can be related to this as well. Please note that I have a tendency to wake up usually twice per night to go the bathroom or just because I'm feeling restless. I drink a ton of water throughout the day as I am very active so I attribute the waking up in the middle of the night to pee to that. I've also noticed that once I am fully erect when my girlfriend and I are hooking up, it has a tendency to go down fairly quick. Like I can't maintain an erection once it's there unless I'm constantly stimulating myself or my girlfriend is and even then, it's not a "rock hard" erection.

Any advice on this would be appreciated. Like I said, I've exercised all possible options in terms of visiting urologists who say I'm normal and there's nothing physically wrong with me and I am beyond the point of being frustrated. Please help!!!

-BigBoi223
Your post is not clear. How do you know there's nothing physically wrong with you? Did you do any tests? What did the doctors tell you exactly? Do you suffer from ED? Are you able to have erections and sexual intercourse?

Nighttime erections become less frequent with time, I guess that's normal. If you want to improve them, Cialis may be a good solution. A study out of Italy reported that men who take Cialis (tadalafil) every other day had improved blood vessels after 4 weeks. Trazodone is a sleeping pill that can also improve erections.

If, after going through the necessary tests, your doctor concludes that your case is purely psychological, there are effective solutions available. I'm currently taking a natural supplement called SEREDYN to improve my sexual performance anxiety and I'm happy with the results. STABLON is an antidepressant that has no sexual side effects. Talk to your doctor before you decide to try any of these treatments.
I'm not a doctor but I have a couple of tips that may be helpful, because I've suffered from sexual performance anxiety for many years. Anxiety, depression and other mood disorders can have drastic effects on your sex life. Fortunately, there are many effective solutions available.

My doctor prescribed me Cialis but PDE-5 inhibitors are not anxiety drugs and only act locally. I'm also taking SEREDYN and VIGAMED (oral phentolamine) on demand. VIGAMED is not a PDE-5 inhibitor, it is a new ED drug that blocks alpha receptors in the penis and inhibits the negative effects of stress hormones. I know it's a lot of stuff (Cialis, Vigamed, Seredyn) but it works.

Again, I recommend you consult a doctor to rule out any physical causes and ask him about these treatments.
Hi Metropolis,

Thanks for getting back to me. In terms of the tests the urologists performed were essentially physical examinations. (examined my unit, felt it to make sure nothing was damaged and also took blood pressure and that sort of thing). This past April, my girlfriend of 1 year broke up. With her, I had zero issues getting my guy up and was able to get hard just fine which leads me to believe this may be more psychological. I've already tried Viagra, Cialis and Levitra which have all worked however, I would like to maintain a sex life (especially since I'm only 25 years old) without the assistance of pills.

To your other question, yes I am able to have sexual intercourse. I find that I'm able to get my guy up just fine however, if I'm not intently focused on maintaining an erection or what I'm doing then I lose it very easily. It is just frustrating because I remember when I had trouble trying to get him to go down once he was up just a few years ago! Now it's as if I'm struggling just to stay afloat and I will literally try make sex the first thing my current girlfriend and I do when we see each other just to get the pressure off.

Also, I don't know if this information is important, but I literally have sex or engage in oral sex with my girlfriend at least once-twice per day. When I do not see her, I usually masturbate at least once. I find that my mind is constantly craving sex however, my body is unable to keep up. I don't know if this is me getting older and this is a normal thing to experience or if there is something, whether it's psychological or physical, wrong with me.

Any additional insights would be appreciated. Thanks.

-BigBoi223