Erectile Dysfunction Expert Forum
Male in early 20's with Erection Problems

Questions in the Erection Concerns Forum are being answered by Janice M Epp, PhD, a Clinical Sexologist from The Institute for Advanced Study of Human Sexuality. This forum is for questions and discussions about the psychological aspects of Erection problems or erectile dysfunction.

Im a male in my early 20's in good physical shape and recently I have been experiencing some erection difficulties. It started a few months ago when I noticed that it took me longer to achieve an erection then I used to. I can still achieve a full erection only if there is some type of touching and physical stimulation involved.  If there is no physical stimulation involved it is hard for me to achieve a full erection and if i do then i loose it very quickly where as before I would get erections very easily and would have no trouble keeping them. I also used to get an erection in the morning when I woke up but now I rarely get that and even if I do it is not a full erection. I have been under some stress for the past year or so and it has been a while since I have had sex.  I do feel less horny and dont have much interest in sex. I have had my testosterone levels checked and everything is the way it should be.  I dont believe that I have diabetes or and everything is good with my liver and kidneys, and I dont remember sustaining any type of injury to the genital area. I would like to know is my condition physical or a psychological? I have heard that most people with physical problems also experience loss of sex drive but I figured its probably stress related since I can achieve an erection with physical stimulation.  Thank you for your help.
Hi.

Welcome to your 20’s! When you're younger and just beginning to be sexual with others, erections pop up everywhere--including when you don't want them! Post-pubescent men are highly exciteable. After all, sex with a partner is new, and anything new is terribly exciting. Of course, you need direct touch and stimulation! Most men find that once they leave their teens, they need more direct and intense stimulation. This is just part of life and doesn’t indicate any underlying condition to worry about.

As you age, you'll find that erections sometimes take longer, and even come and go. Again, this is not an indication if ill health, but just part of life. Sexual interest ebbs and flows as well, depending on other circumstances in your life. And you hit the nail right on the head: the more stress you’re under, the less energy your body has to respond sexually.

Worrying about erections is a dead-end street. All it will do is make you anxious, which will make your penis very uncooperative. And remember you don't need an erection to be sexual, have fun, experience pleasure, etc. Relax, enjoy your own unique sexuality and stop judging yourself. Dr. J
Sorry I forgot to add that it is harder to keep an erection when I am laying on my back and standing and it is easier when I am facing downward. Thank you.
ok thank your for your response doctor. I still feel like my sex drive is very low and that I dont have much interest in sex most of the time compared to a few months ago when all I could think about was sex. I also dont have much interest in pornography anymore.  like i said i had my testosterone levels checked and everything is normal.  I noticed when i wake up in the middle of the night that i still get erections but they are not as hard as before and go away quickly as i wake up so i guess physically everything is fine.  what can i do to increase my sex drive?
I’m assuming when you use the term “sex drive” that you’re referring to your interest in sex and/or your desire for sex. I can't tell you WHY your interest or desire has waned; that's something only you know.

As I said above, you can expect your feelings to fluctuate during your life. If you relax and stop worrying, they'll probably return. If you put some performance expectation on yourself, you'll probably never live up to it, so why make yourself miserable?

There are lots of factors that can contribute to lowered desire, including stress, anxiety, relationship difficulties, etc. You might find it helpful to examine these areas of your life to see if anything has changed lately. Dr. J
A related discussion, Please cure my impotency was started.
A related discussion, 22 & having trouble :-/ was started.