Erectile Dysfunction Expert Forum
Unwanted erections becoming more frequent

Questions in the Erection Concerns Forum are being answered by Janice M Epp, PhD, a Clinical Sexologist from The Institute for Advanced Study of Human Sexuality. This forum is for questions and discussions about the psychological aspects of Erection problems or erectile dysfunction.

I am a 55 year old man who has had problems with unwanted erections all my life.  I seem to have no control over when they happen, sometimes something as innocent as a yawn can cause one.  It's something I always expected to diminish as I grew older, but during the last few years it actually seems to be getting worse.  Having this problem actually kept me from seeing a doctor for almost 30 years since any real "exam" always resulted in an erection.  I've read all the posts saying it happens all the time, but it's something that can be overlooked in a young man or teen, but for someone my age I'm sure they'll label me as some kind of a sexual pervert.  With all the drugs out there that can give someone with ED an erection, surely there must be a drug that has the opposite affect.  Please help!
The first thing you need to do is get over your shame and embarrassment. Erections aren’t evil or wrong, they’re simply part of life and a usual bodily function. And, yes, men have them at all ages, not just when young.

Why are you so uncomfortable? It’s your attitude that’s problematic here. I suspect because you feel so negative, you’re becoming a bit obsessed about this, and the more you worry, the more you contribute to the situation.

Wear loose pants, and don’t worry about whether anyone notices. I’m sure most don’t—it’s you who’s hyper-aware, not everyone else. If you're enjoying your sexuality, relax and be happy that your body is healthy and in good working order. Dr. J
Since you are a doctor, you realize that erections are normal - even if they don't occur at normal times.  The problem is with the other 99.999% of the population.  As you can see with all the other posts in this topic, everyone else's problem is with NOT having erections.  Someone my age who has an erection in public is going to be labeled as a pervert by that 99% of the population.  What happens if I get an erection in front of someone's wife?  What happens if I get an erection in front of a group of women? What happens if I get an erection in front of someone's young children?  These are situations that can get someone like myself into severe trouble and labeled as a sexual pervert even though there is never any sexual thoughts involved at all.  That is where my obsession that you speak of comes from. It's an obsession to not get lynched by angry people who think I'm having having sexual fantasies about their wives or children.  I just can't believe that if there is a pill that can give men erections who can't otherwise get them, that there is no pill out there that would be able to prevent erections in those who don't want them!
hello.

The only way I know for you to completely prevent erections is to take an estrogen-related compound that will not only prevent erections, but orgasms as well--in short, all sexual functioning. I have no idea if any physician would prescribe this for you; however, since you're in such distress, I'd encourage you to see a urologist for a complete physical work-up and also a therapist to explore any underlying issues that are contributing to this. Anything is possible, so if you're really motivated for answers, I suggest you start with these two options. Dr. J
A related discussion, unwanted erection in public was started.
A related discussion, Count your blessings was started.