Erectile Dysfunction Expert Forum
problem with erection

Questions in the Erection Concerns Forum are being answered by Janice M Epp, PhD, a Clinical Sexologist from The Institute for Advanced Study of Human Sexuality. This forum is for questions and discussions about the psychological aspects of Erection problems or erectile dysfunction.

problem with erection

For about eight months now ive been having erection problems. I was tested for stds and all come back negative. the symptoms i have are pre *** when i get arroused when it never did that before,sharp pain in the tip of my penis that lasts for about 2 seconds and goes away, the only time it burns is when i ejaculate after having some beers.

Any help would be great.
You're mistaken. You've always produced fluid prior to orgasm; you probably just didn't notice it, or produced less than you do now. This isn't a symptom of anything; in fact, it's what your body should be doing. When post-pubescent (adult) men become sexually aroused, a gland called the Cowper’s Gland, secretes a milky fluid, also known as "pre-come." Some men produce large amounts of this fluid, while others produce very little. Everyone is different. This fluid clears the urethra of uric acid prior to ejaculation. Without this fluid, many of the sperm carried in semen would be killed or damaged by the acid contained in urine. So when you get turned on, that’s what happens: Cowper’s Gland fluid comes out the end of your penis.

I'm not sure what you mean by "erection problems," so I'll give you some general information below.

When you're younger and just beginning to be sexual with others, erections pop up everywhere--including when you don't want them! Post-pubescent men are highly excitable. After all, sex with a partner is new, and anything new is terribly exciting.

As you age, you'll find that erections sometimes take longer, and even come and go. This is not an indication if ill health, but just part of life.

If you experience erections upon awakening, that's an indication that there’s no medical or physiological condition interfering—it’s all in your head. Something about being sexual is causing you anxiety. What do you suppose it is? Is it possible that you’re worrying yourself into this problem? In other words, once you began to worry, you stopped being able to enjoy yourself, so naturally, your erections disappeared, and you created a self-fulfilling prophesy. Often, anxiety and nervousness create a situation in which you can't relax enough to feel pleasure.

Worrying about erections is a dead-end street. All it will do is make you anxious, which will make your penis very uncooperative. And remember you don't need an erection to be sexual, have fun, experience pleasure, etc. Relax, enjoy your own unique sexuality and stop judging yourself.

For more information about male sexual issues, I recommend “The New Male Sexuality,” by Bernie Zilbergeld, Ph.D., widely available both used and in paperback.

Regarding pain or burning: this is a forum for discussing the psychological aspects of erection concerns.

If you’d like to ask a urologist your question, I suggest you post in the Urology Expert Forum at:

www.medhelp.org/forums/show/113