Esophageal Cancer Community
GERD

WELCOME TO THE ESOPHAGEAL CANCER COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Causes, Clinical Trials, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Cancer of the Esophagus, Prognosis and Treatment Options.

GERD

I was recently diagnosed with Barretts Esophagus. I've read that your 30 times more likey to get cancer if you have this. Is this true? What can i do? I'm on ameprezole but is there anything else that can be done to help cure this problem?

Ron
A small percentage of people with end up with cancer.  Make sure they keep a close eye on your condition.  Cut out everything the doctor tells you to cut out and at all cost keep that acid down.  If you feel the burn it is too late - you need to fight the acid before you feel it.

I had E. Cancer, caught it in an early stage because I had Barretts first so they were watching me.  Had surgery 8 years ago and I am doing fine.
Star
I also had had Barrett's and was getting scoped every 12 months. On my last scope ( 8/2011 ) they discovered some areas that they biopsied. They came back positive for adenocarcinoma. I was sent to the Cleveland Clinic where on Nov 3,2011 I had an esophegtomy with the full esophagus removed along with the top 1/3rd of my stomach. The procedure was performed by Dr. Thomas Rice. I was in the hospital for 2 weeks and on a feeding tube for 8 weeks with food intakes starting up again at week 6.

I am now 8 weeks post surgery and have had some issues with dumping syndrome and dry coughing and minor rib "popping" issues but am recovering.

My cancer skipped over the normal displacia route and went straight to full blown cancer all in 12 months between a normal scope and this last scope.

If you have Barrett's you MUST get scoped regularly to catch anything before it gets bad. According to a post surgical test my cancer has been fully removed and I have a chance at a long life.

I wish the same for you
Hi again Ron
Forgot to mention that there is no cure for Barrett's. Once you have it, you have it. I took many different medications but ended up with cancer anyway. You do have a greater chance of getting cancer with Barrett's but I have a few friends with Barrett's for 15 years or more with no problems other than dietary changes, I was just unlucky I guess. I hope your one of those lucky ones

Glen