Esophageal Cancer Community
Need help making sense of biopsy report

WELCOME TO THE ESOPHAGEAL CANCER COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Causes, Clinical Trials, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Cancer of the Esophagus, Prognosis and Treatment Options.

Need help making sense of biopsy report

I had an endoscopy last week and got my report yesterday but because of the holiday weekend cannot talk to my doctor until Tuesday. I would appreciate any help you can offer in making sense of the following notes on my report.

-Proximal esophagus shows squamous epithelium with reactive cellular changes.

-Distal esophagus shows detached benign squamous epithelium with reactive cellular changes

-Fundic gland polyp of the stomach

-gastric mucosa w/ moderate chronic, inactive gastritis, early erosive changes,no organisms or dysplasia

I am 46 years old and have a history of GERD going back 10 years. During this scope they dialated a complete Schatzkies ring, and this is the 3rd time I have had such a dialation though the last one was 6 years ago. I have sharp right chest pain, globus dysphagia, regurgitations, taste of blood, and stomach pain. I was treated for breast cancer last year with surgery and chemo therapy (no radiation) and show no evidence of disease now. Would like to know what squamous means in light of this report. Is this normal?

Any help is very much appreciated.