Esophageal Cancer Community
feeling of something stuck in my throat

WELCOME TO THE ESOPHAGEAL CANCER COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Causes, Clinical Trials, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Cancer of the Esophagus, Prognosis and Treatment Options.

feeling of something stuck in my throat

For a couple days now I have been feeling like something is stuck in my throat. I have a light cough here and there. I had a temporary sore throat weeks ago. What can this be. I have been swallowing alot. At times I feel like I could choke.

Im nervous can anyone help. thanks
Hi there!

The ‘feeling of something stuck in the throat’ is called globus in medical terms. The feeling indicates that one of the muscles along the way is tightened. Although globus usually doesn't represent a serious problem, when present steadily for more than two weeks or intermittently for two or three months, a thorough examination of the oral cavity and throat is in order, especially in smokers. The most common cause for this symptom is infection, usually viral. Masses and tumors and incoordinated contraction in the upper oesophagus and psychological stress could also cause the sensation. It would be best to have this evaluated by a primary care physician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
this went away after like a week or so. is there anything I should worry about. I have been under alot of stress and worrying about various things.

I was sick with a cold for a week which gave me this feeling in my throat, then i was good for a week and then got sick again with a cough and stuffy/runny nose going on a week now...

anything serious i should worry about?

is this related thanks.