Exercise & Fitness Community
1200 calories?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

1200 calories?

I have a question about the 1200 minimum calorie intake, if you have excess fat, then if you are under the 1200 calories wont your body make up that deficit by taking it from the fat on your body as long as you are exercising and then your body wont go into starvation mode, as long as you have the fat for it to take from?
There is a delicate balance when it comes to loosing weight. If you aren't getting enough calories to run your body, your body will become stressed and start storing fats. Yes if you're exercising you might loose some weight, but not in a very healthy or perhaps even safe way. Your body needs to get more than just calories in a day too- the other nutrients are vital to keeping your body happy and healthy. So if you cut down your food to a very small amount you probably won't be getting the amount of protein, fat, vitamins and electrolytes you need. If you stress your body out too much you're likely to get sick. Also, because everyone is different, a person's caloric intake is based off of their weight, height, age, sex, and activity level. So that 1200 min isn't for everyone.

Basically - even though my mom and I are the same height and sex and similar body type: she spends all day at a desk job, I spend most of mine on my feet- that's a very different amount of energy required for that. Also because she's 50 and I'm in my 20's our metabolism varies a lot; in theory mine should be much much more active than hers. Finally she's 60 lbs more than I am, that makes a difference because if you go too fast on cutting back your calories your body goes from excess-what do I do with all this? To omg I'm being starved!

Finally- I have hashimoto's and gallstones. Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disease that attacks my thyroid and can really really f up any chance I have with a diet. And my gallstones will make me sick if I eat more than 25g of fat in a day, or more than 10 in a 3 hour block. Ironically I was actually told by my surgeon that loosing weight too fast probably caused me to develop gallstones in the first place! (So loosing weight too fast or in an unsafe manner can make you more than just tired and irritable, it could cause problems in your body.) Your own medical history also plays a part in trying to loose weight. Certain diseases like diabetes would make it dangerous/deadly to change your caloric intake too much or fast for too long.

So yes if you have excess fat and you are burning calories then you will loose some weight. But your body needs more than just the stored fats to run, it needs that constant inflow of nutrients to keep healthy. So if you aren't getting at least that, your body will start storing and you might get pretty sick. You also need to keep in mind your body, based on your body type and medical needs, might need a specific range. I know it's frustrating to be overweight and feel that everything you're doing just isn't enough, but slowly but surely is really the way. I have tried many crash diets and many different types of exercise to loose weight- In my teen years I battled with anorexia (while being at 28ish BMI), I had PE and sports every day. I was definately below that 1200 calories and I was exercising about 2 hours 5 times a week. I have never lost a single pound in my life until I followed what was recommended for my body type, switched to a completely permanent diet of only healthy, non-processed foods, and had my medical needs acknowledged. To date I have lost 16 kgs/ 35 lbs.