Exercise & Fitness Community
Abdominal Hernia

Our Exercise & Fitness community to help you take charge of your health. Ask a question, join a conversation, get tips: fitness, nutrition, and management tools / trackers.

Abdominal Hernia

what type of hernia exercise (if you have) can i do that can help me developed back the muscles that causes my abdominal hernia? Can it help me avoid surgery? Thank you.
A male lower abdominal hernia?  I am no doctor, paramedic and I am no longer a combat lifesaver.  I work around a lot of steel.  At times I have to hand pull 400 foot lengths of cable threw that steel.  The big cables weigh in at least 5 pounds per foot.  So a lot of people around me tend to get a hernia in the same place amoungst all the other straining injuries.  I have also got a straining injury myself, from not wearing the proper underwear of all things.  

All of them went into the pull that they hurt themselves were poorly prepared for it, including myself.  They either weren't properly hydrated, stretched, dressed, mentally prepared for proper form, warmed up, or cardiovascularly fit.  Most of them also don't schedule and plan their diet around the work day even when big cables are involved.  Properly prepare yourself and the risks of developing a hernia diminish greatly.  Even if you are in shape and used to the load to be handled you can still develop a hernia if you forget to do something as simple as not intake the right amount of calories for it.  

Keep in mind there are specific types of hernia in the abdominal region and at least one is unavoidable.  Once you develop a hernia you need medical attention soon before life threatening complications arise.  In every single case I have become aware of, surgery is unavoidable.  However after most hernias are fixed, the specific spot they fixed tends to be stronger than other areas.  Which means once that one particular spot is fixed you should never get another hernia in that exact same spot.   Keep in mind you can tear open a spot nearly beside the original.  
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

No, you have to go for surgery, which is the best bet for complete recovery.

An abdominal hernia occurs when there is a tear or bulge in the inside layer of your abdominal wall. Most commonly, hernias occur in your abdomen or your groin.

Discuss with a surgeon and get it corrected by an elective surgery. If it is a reducible hernia then it is not an emergency and you can plan appropriately. With irreducible hernias you have to go for an emergency operation.

Take care!

Hello,I have a abdominal pain for a year now. My doctor says its a para ventral hernia, but I dnt see that anywhere on the internet. It is on the right of where a epigastric wld be jst below gallbladder. I have seen pics of incisional one there but i have never had surgery. Please help.
I also have a abdominal hernia that I got during pregnancy. I am scared to do abdominal exercises but I'm sure you can! I can not have surgery but so far so good! I just take it easy on my belly area. You can also look into buying back hernia band. To help hold it in. :)
specialmom Little League Opening Day i... Comment
9 mins ago
Nighthawk61 commented on I am stronger
KeeLolo Yes Jesus I will trust you.... Comment
Apr 16
Achieve your weight goals
Exercise Tracker
Make exercise part of your routine