Exercise & Fitness Community
Abdominal issues

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Abdominal issues

Okay, I used to work out a lot.  Then I had kids . . . enough said.  I got away from it.  I had two little ones that are 15 months apart and was a big prego girl.  Well----  kids are preschoolers and beyond now so I'm out of excuses. Time to get back to it. I'm 44 (old)----  when I do sit ups, my muscles in my abdominals especially up by my ribcage tighten into a spasm.  It locks up and I can hardly move out of the sit up position.  It has detered me from sit ups----  I need them!  Should I motor through it and it will get better or seek a trainer or something to suggest other ideas?  

ps:  kids think the whole episode  of my rolling into a ball while doing sit ups is funny----  grrrrr!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

I would suggest you to relax and consider breathing exercises to be able to control your abdominal muscles and also your pectoralis muscles on the chest.

Try with minimum repitations and also do some floor exercises to increase your endurance.
It is with time and little bit of strenghtening of your muscles you will be able to do.

I would also suggest you to do some skipping, cardio if possible at home to start exercising in a regular way.

Take care!