Exercise & Fitness Community
Alcohol, stomach discomfort and long term health problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

I hope someone can help me with my strange permanent symptoms that i have had for the past 3 years.

I am a 33 year old male. From 18 to 30 years of age i would describe myself as a reasonably heavy social drinker, probably around 50 units a week. Despite this i always found that i rarely suffered from hangovers and it was not uncommon for me to go jogging the morning following a night on the booze to run off any slight hangover i may have had. I was actually quite fit, and when i was 30 ran two half marathons.  

3 years ago i joined the police service. The training for this meant spending 15 weeks at a residential camp. There was little to do there, and everyone's routine was to spend the evening in the onsite bar. It was also extremely stressful. The food during the 15 weeks was terrible, poor quality canteen grub and not much of it. Every evening to relieve the boredom i would get fairly drunk, probably drinking around 6-7 pints of lager. Every morning was an early start, and i was frequently tired from spending so much time in the bar the night before that most days meant i drank around 5-6 cans of diet coke to keep me alert. Weekends we came home, but this meant seeing friends and socialising so i would go out drinking at weekends also. This meant over the 15 weeks, i probably did not miss an evening where i wasn't fairly drunk, ate rubbish food , drunk countless diet coke. Despite this i kept my fitness levels up and jogged every day.

This is where my problems started. Towards the end of this 15 weeks i woke up one morning and felt terrible. I was strangely out of breath doing simple things, just getting out of bed. I felt really rough, like i was really over exerted. It was the same sort of feeling i would get after a really long 2 hour jog or something, the same sense of exertion - but i hadn't done anything. I had a strange uncomfortable full fulling in my upper stomach. I was also having ectopic heart beats.

I went to a doctor that day i felt so bad, and he sent me for an immediate heart echo cardiogram at the hospital. This came back normal.

As i was leaving the camp a few days later to go home, my doctor recommended seeing my home gp.

Before i went home for good the last day of the training course meant a fitness test. I went to bed that evening and for the first time didn't go to the bar as i still felt rough. I thought in the morning i would feel ok. However, when i woke up i didn't. I felt exactly the same, easily out of breath, totally exerted and generally feeling under the weather.

I tried jogging this day, and it was bizarre. I just couldn't do it. I was out of breath bending down to put my trainers on.

Basically i returned home and over the course of the next year i must have been back to my GP around 20 times about the above problems. My ectopic beats settled down after a few weeks. My tests have involved an ultrasound on my stomach, ECG's, blood tests for everything as far as i know, i have been referred to the infectious diseases clinic, been put on Prozac (they thought it was all in my head).

I eventually gave up going to my GP, as he basically said there was nothing else they could test me for.

Three years on my symptoms are as follows:

1) I am not breathless anymore. I do jog now regularly but find it far more tiring than i ever did. Half an hour is my limit.

2) I have a permanent upper abdomen 'raw' feeling and always feel below par. I know this is vague but i find it difficult to be more specific.

3) if i drink alcohol now, i feel absolutely TERRIBLE for days after. Even if i drink small amounts i will feel rough for a couple of days, nauseous and totally drained of energy.

4) Some days my upper stomach pain feels much worse than offers. However it never seems to be related to hunger/no hunger, or what i have eaten.

My question is really, did my alcohol consumption cause permanent damage to some area of my body? Could it also have been related to my lifestyle at the time? Is it impossible to detect?

The reason i am posting this is because even 3 years on i remember that i used to feel a lot better than i do know in general day to day life. It's incredibly frustrating. I drink rarely now as i feel too ill when i do.

I have a very healthy diet with plenty of fruit and veg. I have tried vitamins, milk thistle, various supplements, all to seemingly no affect.

Can anyone shed any light or what i might have done to myself and how on earth i could go forward?

Assuming that there is nothing seriously wrong with your heart, (which there isnt; as your ecg and blood tests suggest everything is o.k) your gp is probably correct when he feels it could be in your head.

Your blood test would probably be for enzymes secreted when your tissue dies (in the heart for example). This is the best test to see if you had suffered a "heart attack". If you had of had any serious heart trouble, this would haved shown it.

Alternatively. They may have done liver tests, and potassium tests, my guess is you had low potassium.

Your "shortness of breath", "full feeling" in upper abdomen, and ectopic heart beets are indicative of panic disorder.

You are out of breath because of hyperventilation, you get nonregular heart beets under panic, as this is your bodies way of telling you to escape because there's danger. And your full feeling is associated with panic disorder.

Long term drinking, damages the outer layer in the brain, (not saying thats happened to you. Long term drink is also closely associated to neuroligical disorders mainly panic disorders. Feeling a sickening dread, that something bad will happen and the like. Heres a site i just found on google. http://www.panicportal.com/indext3.htm (it may be a kwik fix scheme so proceed carefully)

Panic disorder is not life threatening, have you asked your doctor for beta blockers? (Do not take if you are asthmatic)

Here are a few symptoms! http://panicdisorder.about.com/cs/pdbasics/a/panicdefined.htm

Panic disorders are associated with
chest pain
shortness of breath
feeling of dread (which may be what you fear when you try to run, thus hampering you efforts)
Noticeably quick or pounding heartrate
Fear of dying
Derealization or depersonalization
Choking sensation
Nausea
Cold or hot flashes

Closely associated are disorders like seratonin syndrome.
Seratonin levels are altered in panic disorders, (symptons like severe migrain indicate high levels)heres a good explanation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_serotonin_reuptake_inhibitor

Hope any of this has helped, wether you do suffer from panic, or anything worse (unlikely) my best advice would be to stop drinking, then see your doctor for beta blockers, or antidepressant-anxiety drugs.

Interistingly Anxiety disorders are often debilitating chronic conditions, which can be present from an early age or begin suddenly after a triggering event. They are prone to flare up at times of high stress. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anxiety_disorder

Paul!
You don't say if you had your liver fully evaluated but your symtoms (symptoms) sound like they could be caused by viral or alcoholic hepatitis . Were you checked for Hep C? I'd get tested for it, test for Hep B too. May people have it and do not have a history that would indicate it. You need a liver evaluation and a complete hepatic panel done. Find out what your platelet count is. I would not drink until you find out what this is. If you rule out Hep b and c then look at other liver issues that could be present.
I dont think he has liver disease! He said he had every blood test going, im sure the second blood test he would have had would be liver function. He said he had even been reffered to infectious disease clinic. He would have had liver test before this.

Also; liver disease would not explain the shortness of breath he had earlier suffered. Panic disorder fits all symptoms. But nothing is set in stone.
Hi, Do not listen to the person who thinks its a panic disorder.  First of all, alchohol uses the same chemicals in your head that anxiety meds do, xanax, klonopin, valium, ativan.  These drugs,as with alcohol use gaba receptors in your brain to make you feel calm.  Prolonged use of either drug causes brain damage. However its unlikely that has happened to you.  It takes decades of severe abuse to have brain damage, first if you quit drinking at this stage you would have went through a serious withdrawal, seizures, delerium tremons, ect.  Please dont take anxiety meds, you will be worse off when you stop them.  Its has been well reported of people having severe withdrawal for years after stoping benzos(xanax, valium, ativan, klonopin).  WAY WORSE THEN ALCOHOL!!!  It sounds like it could be a vitamin B deficiancy. You stated you took vitamins, most people dont know that the majority of people who take vitamins dont get the nutriants from them due to intestinal parasites.  This could be the cause your stomach pain also.  When you drink alcohol, it depletes your vitamins anyway, so, if you have alot of parasites (everyone does) no vitamins are getting to your system.  Go to a homeopathic Doctor, they can test you for these little buggers.  Also, google thiamine deficiantcy signs.  Hope this helps

I relate to your stomach problems.
Im a 35 year old male.

I don't have this all the time. But i know exatly what you mean. Used too have it everyday.

Totally interferes with my digestive system for days. If i get drunk i will feel 'ill' for over a week. It is like I have become intolerate or allergic to alcohol.

It used to be like this but got better. Some things I avoid like coffee, makes me feel sick. Chilies hot food no problem eating. You should eat small meals and often rather than 2/3 big meals a day.

Drink water. I don't drink enough. Sometimes when I feel ill I drink water and it feels better it's either dehydration or flushing the acid away I guess.

I've always been a bit of a nervous person. Had stomach pains when i was around 17. I believe because of nerves.

Used to drink heavily ONLY at weekends and the rare party. Didn't drink as heavily as you but always with the intention of getting drunk. It's called 'binge' drinking in the UK. Maybe 5-8 pints.

Importantly caught Campylobacter when I was around 28 didn't feel that bad. Recovered well. Was not given antibiotics. But maybe that might have done some sort of damage.

Progressively my stomach got worse more sensitive over the years.

If i travel i'm always the one to get food poisoning. It's like a bad joke. I always get ill.

Sounds like your stomach is very 'sore'.
I'm not a doctor but our stories are similar.
I think it's related to alcohol, somehow damaged the stomach.
But nerves play a part with my condition.

Breath Tested for H Pylori came back negative.
Had an Endoscopy. All was clear.
Diagnosed with 'functional dyspepsia.

Take it easy. Hope it all gets better. These things take time.

It feels unfair not being able to drink alcohol anymore! Maybe its just what happens to people who like to drink when we get into our thirties! lol

Good Luck.

im in the8th grade and we are learning about things thate ar bad for ur body
• increase the chance of developing high blood pressure, which is the second leading cause of kidney disease
• Interfere with medicines making it harder to control high blood pressure. Uncontrolled high blood pressure is more likely to damage kidneys.
• cause more frequent urination, which can lead to dehydration
• prevent the kidneys from maintaining a proper balance of body fluids and minerals
• damage kidney cells changing the structure and function of the kidneys
Im desperate for help and totally relate to this, i am 29 and guess you could say iv been a heavy social drinker although more now than ever.

ive always suffered with the odd bout of indegestion and trapped wind but NEVER like this it started 12 months ago when i returned from holiday and the docs thought ide got gastrenteritis (sorry about the spelling), i was vomitting and diarreah (diarrhea) constant fullness and severe bloating.

Anyway as time has gone on the vomitting and diarreah (diarrhea) subsides and returns mainly when im so frustrated over the other symptoms now on a daily basis

1 my stomach bloats the that of a six month pregnant woman and its very uncomfortable and niggles away at you

2 my stomach aches im not in agony but more like i feel like im about the burst at any minute and there is a storm going on in there i mean you can actually hear it,

3 these together make me feel very tired and achey (achy) like i dont have the energy to do anything and twtichy and vague sometimes like im not really here.

ive had every test going you name it ive had it more recently an endoscopy which showed esophogitis but only mild and probably caused by me vomitting but everything else proves negative, docs are baffled and im at my wits end , im a logical person and dont want to be like this i just want an answer if ANYONE could help me.

Docs also thought i may have panic disorder i refused meds but did try the therapy but it sure didnt help my stomach! funny thing is now i am having panic attacks because im worrying about my stomach and resulting to drinking to calm me down this is jus a vicious circle and no one seems to be able to help me i feel so low!

I know that feeling. I can't touch a drop now. I was so out of it on one pint I ended up being called an ambulance and when i refused that arrested!

I'm not sure if something may have come of the food you ate at the camp, a common bacterial or other infection H Pylori, Camplyobacteria, Listeria, Salmonella?

I presume liver function test and kidney fucntion test were done?
Were you given a Hep panel or endocrine panel in your series of tests?

I think stress may have a role in all this. because
1 it sounds like the experience on that day has had a significant effect
2 you started a stressful occupation (presumably also with shift work?)
3 SSRIs can cause anxiety particularly if the patient doesn't need them in the first place.

Were you cleared for ulcerative illness after the scan?

Ay other symtoms (symptoms), change in urine, stools? Unexplained muscle or joint aches?

Wouldn't an Internal medicine specialist be the first point of call rather than an ID specialist?
I too am suffering the weak stomach very similar in story to original. I am White 32 male, probably a bit of an overeater, but exercised to make up for that in ways. My stomach got very weak almost 2 years ago.

It seems now when I rest for a week at a time and reduce my diet, always keeping milk on hand as a buffer, my stomach slowly improves a little bit. But when I start exercising more (like running?) the left side of my stomach gets tight and weak and starts to drain me of more energy than normal. It feels like it gets dry and cold there. I try to drink plenty of water to make my pee run clear to light yellow, and when I get fitfull kicks while trying to sleep (sign of dehydration), I put a heat pack on my stomach and that seems to temporarily settle it down.

These practices feel more like temporary solutions than long term especially for trying to get back into weightlifting. I don't get it, but it seems exercise makes my stomach worse, however, when I don't exercise I feel sluggish on another end. It is a hard balance that I can't figure out how to improve. We could be suffering from lifestyles of excess, but isn't it cureable?

The stomach is a muscle and I wonder if there is any kind of exercise a person can do to improve its condition? All I know so far is that Chiropractors can stretch the stomach. What else is there?
***@****

I have the same symptoms as you. I have a thyroid problem and often it is diagnosed more in women than men. They ran MILLIONS of tests on me about 5 years ago and diagnosed me with nervous stomach. Alkazelter helps me and Prevacid does sometimes to..............Hang in!
You are a genius sintonic thanx alot for the info!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Muscles are two types: the smooth muscles of the intestine and stomach are not in your control and they are linked to sympathetic and para sympathetic nervous system & Cranial nerves.
The external abdominal muscles are under your control which can be toned and exercised.
So for the gastric secretions they are hormone related and also stress can cause more concern and you have to lead a stressless life, no alcohol, no smoking and proper timely diet and sufficient water which would in long term would help you during exercising and stabilizing.
Take care!
Ive been having similar symptoms which have occured within the last couple of months. A stomach discomfort that cant be described, almost as if there were something moving around in my stomach but only a nudge, I think the parasitic theroy sounds more on spot.  I could understand with all the ecoli issues that have been happening with the FDA in the previous years. You know with tomatos, lettece, penut butter etc. Maybe that could be the case for many simular symptoms
Avatar_dr_m_tn
With E-coli infections you would also have lose motions or continous intestinal contraction and other symptoms. Go for your stool testing and if required culture and if it is clean then do not worry about E-coli.

Hand washing is very important and hygiene is 2nd most important . If you follow both of these in your day to day life you would limit all these infections.

If it bothers you continuously then you have to go for an examination near a Physician/Gastroenterologist.  Take care!
have had cramps for about 5 months, first loose stools, sometimes more firm, but lots of flatulence and disgusting stools, that almost paint the toilet bowl when flushed. I drink about 5 drinks a day- some days more (consicously trying not to, though). Am 35. Female. This afternoon my stomach craps were so bad I had trouble walking and had to go to the Dr. Tomorrow I'm having a day off work for a CT.
I eat healthy, I run, i drink quite a bit of water.
Will see how CT goes I guess!
Most of those symptoms sound familiar to me. It is somewhat comforting to see others having them, but unfortunate. I too felt out of breath and could hardly even jog for a time, after one particular night of a certain natural excess.

At any rate, one of the things I found problematic was that I ate too many bananas. Believe it or not they can really start to mess up your mineral balance and your digestion if you have too many. I cut them out completely. Do a little research on it.

Also, I believe that being at the computer is a partial culprit. If on too much every day it makes my stomach uncomfortable, or nervous if you will.

You may also wish to cut down on milk products which can be hard to digest for some, like me.

I have gotten to the point where I can drink, but if I do it very often I really start to regret it. And sometimes my stomach still feels ill. My body suffers until it either moves all the way through or I throw up the contents of my stomach.

Research about sour stomach and the role of acids and how some foods break down and "ferment" causing negative acid formations and difficulty.

I, personally, am still having some problems but on the road to sorting them out more. I am an active tennis player. I put on 15-20 pounds after my symptoms got worse, but now I can play for longer durations without getting to exhausted. Before I got really dehydrated-feeling. I hydrate well with spring water and avoid too much caffeine. It may help you to breathe out slowly when you exercise to help keep your respiration calm. I am not sure how or why this is related to breathing, but for some reason it is.

Good luck and take care,
john
I went to a local herbalist/old school chinese medicine practitioner and he diagnosed me using traditional chinese methods. He arrived at the conclusion that I had a nervous stomach (pretty accurate) and he had only seen a case similar to mine once before. The medicine he gave me worked really well for a time. Of course I went back to the same habits which did not help overcome the problem.

Back to the computer over-exposure issue, it sounds a bit silly at first sight, but it is not without its effects, which I have observed first hand. First of all, it reduces the melatonin production in the body and it can disturb your sleep. If you do not get enough sleep this affects not only your immune system and ability to heal but your stomach as well. I think long hours at the computer may also hinder oyur immune system to an extent as well.

I hope some one gets a little help from my experience.

-john
i have the same fullness as you have on your abdomen. Especially after alcohol.

Try going to the chinese doctor for acupunctur, and other chinese massage. It helps for me, and reduced over time. I have the same lifestyle as you were. I am feeling better now with better alcohol tolerance, less side effects in abdomen.

Try that...it works!
okay, I am now 47, female and I have had all of the same symptoms. Here is what i have learned and what i do:
As you age, i.e. anything over 25 years counts, your stomach and digestive system cannot handle some things that it used to easily.
Things like raw onion, dairy and alcohol are but some of a long and
(as you age) ever growing list. Your body is not static and you have to adjust periodically. You will have to adjust and discover what you can still consume.

Tricks & tips:
1. Beano - excellent product. For first bite of beans, broccoli, eggs or any gas causing foods.
2. Lact-Aid (generic available)- for gas, constipation or diarrhea from consuming dairy of any kind.
3. Phazyme- for immediate relief of the bloated stomach and intestinal gas. This is often the culprit for the breathlessness and raw stomach sensation. Your stomach can press upwards on your diaphram and also you should cosider haiatal hernia as a possible problem.
4. Acidophilus caplets- restore beneficial microflora (bacteria) in the digestive tract. I found that after going to the ER last summer convinced that I was having a heart attack ( and $10k in tests later finding out my heart was great) that my panic attack (that was what it was) that was brought on by an overactive imagination, stress and worry because I had all the above symptoms our original author cited; that my digestive system was out of balance. I had an endoscopy, nuclear heart ct and other things- nothing wrong. I remembered my daughter's acidophilus for her irritable bowel syndrome and took it regularly for a 2-4 week period plus ate Activia for 4weeks and did a 2 week round of OTC prilosec. Zapped ALL the probs.
I still like my wine and if I get twinges, I snarf the acidophilus or Activia and all returns to normal. One other thing- you should drink an 8oz glass of water for every alcoholic beverage to counteract the dehydration (main cause of the hangover, BTW). Drink the water before and during the imbibing not all at once after. Too much water can kill you too, no kidding. The water will also help you slow down and keep the calories down, too. Now, that advice won't work for those who only want a buzz and aren't interested in their health but I am assuming that those reading this want to solve health issues so 'nuff said. My theory is that the alcohol kills off the beneficial bacteria needed for digestive tract balance. Just as some people can eat dairy, some can't. Some people will be more sensitive to alcohol's effects and others not. You can restore that balance inexpensively and harmlessly with activated yogurt cultures or the acidophilus (in with vitamins),
In a nutshell...you can really screw up that balance and your body is possibly telling you that you did so this is a suggestion made assuming that you are relatively sure that you are NOT having heart issues. An EKG can tell you whether you have had a heart attack and is not one of the more expensive or time consuming tests. DO NOT ASSUME that what I have said IS your problem...it was mine and I am now a happy camper.
Also, once a panic attack, more likely to have more and those people suffer 50% more real coronarys due to the extreme stress panic attacks cause so be aware. You can imagine yourself into a heart attack. Hope all this helps.  
Hi Guys

I have had the same symptoms with the digestive problems, ill feeling and reaction to excersize or iniitally reaction to any movement. These were brought on by excess in my life, through a very stressful job, physical strain from being a semi professional marathon mountainbiker and overindulging in food and alcohol (socially).

After having all sorts of tests and done loads of research myself, I believe what I have is a mixture of anxiety and digestive issues. I believe the digestive issues are driven from an imballance of bad bascteria and dysfunction from this and over stress. To fight this, I have found resetting my diet with help of a dietitian and eliminating all foods that can cause unease in the stomach is key. slowly reintroduce foods and see what brings on problems. At the same time figthing the bad bacteria with probiotics and drinking lots of water to keep flushing the kidneys and helping them cope as your digestive system slowly resets and believe me this is slow.

Secondly I believe that due to the link to the nervous system and the gut, I believe that these digestive issues were sending warning signals through to the brain and causing anxiety as these were so strong and not normal to me. The event of this happening which was peaked one night at spin class sent my anxiety and stress levels over the edge and caused a panic attack. With this hightened level of anxiety, I had a couple of more panic attacks. what I needed to do here was work to remove the anxiety withcalming excersizes, yoga, only once I completely calmed down, could I actually pinpoint the stomach nervous signals and address them.

I believe what I have, which sounds very similar to some of the posts here, is a mixture of these two things and you need to be dealing with both, however the first thing that worked for me was telling myself I was not dying or had some weird disease and actually bring myself back into control and stop focusing on the bad feelings.

I believe the high level of alert my body was on, was the reason  I was struggling to do normal things and as soon as I tried to train, I was struggling to breath and felt ill. I am now back to training and just enjoyed my first session at high intensity.

Unfortuantely I believe this thing is something I will always have to manage and as someone was saying, as you get older, you just need to learn what the body can tolerate to allow you to still do the things you want and unfortunately for me, it has meant reducing my drinking culture and stress to ensure I can still race my bicycle.

Not sure if this will help for anyone else, but I thought to put my story up here as at one point I felt like my life was seriously over and now I am far better than I was and canpretty much function as before with a few adjustments.
Hi all,

I found this site purely as i was also trying to find out what is wrong with me! I have always been able to drink a lot as I am a very tall female and played rugby etc and and so am used to drinking.

About 3 months ago I woke up one day and I thought my heart was jumping ans skipping beats - I got more and more panicked until I drove myself to hospital. They did all of the tests on me and they were all normal and all I got was a lecture on how to cope with "panic attacks" and "stress". I have never been so happy as I am now so I just don't get it - as I have been so much more stressed in the past. Also I am an ex-cop (for my sins) but just proving I can cope with stress!

They did ECGs everything - it wasn't my heart that was fluttering - and now I have realised it is actually in my stomach. It is a feeling like butterflies like when you are excited - but sometimes it is so bad I get dizzy and feel like I am going to feint! But I am NOT stressed! I have now had to cut my alcohol right back and sure enough if I don't have alcohol for a few days, I don't get the feeling - my doctor said just don't drink alcohol anymore! That was a great help! Maybe it is all related to the nervous system but am very interested if this is just something I should ignore or if it is a symptom of something more scary! xx
this sound like IBS I used to experince the same thing aftr drinking only red wine since i have stopped drinking red wine and fizzy drinks my stomach is not blotted  and the stomach crapps are gone if i do drink the  above i do take colafac which releave these symptoms
i get woken up by an irritaion in the abdomen evry morning this has been going on for some time now ,when i get out of bed it all disappears when i get back and sleep it comes again ...for the rest of the day i feel sick bloated and weak, been to the Gp done various tests initially i had hyplori which i was given anti biotics for and tests doe after idicated that the bacteria wass off what to now,Gp say i have gastrititis given me several medication bt no change
What you seem to have is Gastritis. It is the immflamation of the stomach and is hugly corallated to alchol usage. Alcohol destroys the stomach lining and it is directly absorbed. Alcohol causes acid to form in the stomach and your systoms are textbook of Gastritis.

Hope you get well.
Symptoms of Gastritis is fullness after eating small amounts of food. Discomfort, pain in the upper abdomen, just above of the belly button. Tiredness, fatigue, bloating, gas and just a feeling like something is pressing on your upper abdomen.

Keep in touch and again I hope you get better.

regards
I have the exact same background and symptoms as "slap up". Woke up the morning after my 30th birthday party, felt fine for a couple of hours, then suddenly felt nauseous. This happened back in April, its now going on October and I'm not feeling much better. I've completely quit alcohol for 3 months now, I eat healthy, I don't exercise regularly but have a physicaly demanding job. I become fatigued very quickly, I can't eat very much due to feeling nauseous easily, this has caused me to lose 30 pounds, which sounds great but it was unwillingly. I've been to 2 doctors who've sent me for various blood tests and ultra sounds, everything is normal. I've read into the Gastritus symtoms (symptoms) which sound pretty accurate, but shouldn't last this long. This is becoming very frustrating, and is destroying my life. The constant sick feeling has put me into a almost constant depression, I'm usually a life of the party type guy. Also very hard to watch my 2 year old run around and play while i sit on the couch with 0 energy. I'm off to the doctor AGAIN in a couple of hours, I'll let everyone know whats up if anything new.
Me too.  33 year old male here.  I drink pretty regularly.  That's about the same as everyone here.  I'm on paxil 10 mg.  A low dose.  I've basically been crapping poo water for about a year now.  I think I've had one solid stool in that time.  About six months ago I was in for an ulcer, got the antibiotics for it and it went away.  We didn't test for the h. pylori, just assumed it and nuked it.

My bowel movements are convulsive.  It's gotten a little better as the stool got more watery.  I think there is a trifecta here.  Something between the genetics (colitis and chrons in the sisters), the Paxil and the alcohol.  I have an appointment in a couple weeks with a GI.  We'll test for more bugs.

And no, I don't have Hep.  I got the inoculations several years back and tested positive for the surface antibodies so I guess that means the three boosters worked.

I guess the best most easiest advice I should give myself is to stop drinking, (I just quit smoking a month ago), stop the paxil and see if it clears up.
Hi All,

desperate help.

For about 10yrs now I have been experiencing bad tummy problems. It started when I was abt 18 and was on and off for abt 5 yrs. However last year was the worst as this was happening every 4-5weeks where I wld end up in hospital with severe pain on (MY) left side parralel to the belly button. It will start around 2pm when it comes and gradually get worst by 6pm when I am on the gorund curled up in very very bad pain, most times I need to go to hospital to get morphine for the pain beofre it eases. It usually lasts 4-6hrs from start to end and in the middle is very painful and comes in bad waves. I have had many many procedures colonoscopy gastospony etc etc u name it. Been diagnosed wiht many things but never accurate. I do however drink alcohol on weekends i wld say easily binge as I wld drink a bottle of scotch and then some every weekend which im trying to cut down - so not nore if the binge is related but really need some help as u can imagine living wiht something u dont know what is is scary and the episode when the attack comes is unbearable. Would love to hear from you back.

Thankyou in Advance.

deep down i believe its alcohol as I drink only water and started green tea during the working week, so drinking habits are good during the week but come weekend it gets smashed by alcohol. hear from you all.

i started binge drinking when I was 18. im now 32.

thankyou
ben
Just to update with my previous post. I've gone to the gasto doctor, he sent me in for an endoscopy, and an ct scan of my abdomin (abdomen). He said everything looked perfectly fine, all my blood tests were also fine. GRRR!!! His diagnosis was that this is stress related, basicly, its all in my head. I wanted to punch him in the face, but I didn't. I've decided not to give up on this and I'm heading to another gastro doctor this friday for a second opinion. Wish me luck.
I agree with an earlier response; I think it's IBS.  Especially, the shortness of breath and rapid heart rate can be caused by the distention of the stomach.  So, are you distented especially after eating?  Oh, and watch out for raw veggies.  They can wreak havoc on your condition.
I am a 42 year old, healthy, work out 3 plus times a week ( aside from the alcohol) and recently experienced the same thing.  During my workout felt so weak.  Came home and took a sauna.  Was standing talking to my husband and i had to sit, i was so weak.  The next morning i couldnt walk across the room.  I went to the doctor and they told me i was dehydrated.  we came home with saltines and gatorade and i started vomiting blood.  We called 911 and i was admitted to the hospital.  They  diagnosed me with esophagitis and said stay away from the alcohol.  I love alcohol and have cut back but still experience the bloating/abdominal feeling you mentioned and difficulty swallowing like something is lodged in my throat.  Have you had any progress/updates with your symptoms? Its been some time since you originally posted... def not the panic/or need for prozac
I'm a 31 year old white male.  

I had a hard weekend of partying (New Year's) and have noticed that the hangover lasted a bit longer than usual.  Back in my early 20's (when I drank a lot more) I recovered fairly quickly from having a drink.

I should note that I very rarely drink even a drop, but this past weekend was a bit of a throwback to my younger days.  I drank quite a bit on New Year's Eve, and then again on January 2.  It is now January 5 and I am back to my normal not-drinking ways.  

However, at times I still feel slightly nauseous and have noticed a dull ache that comes and goes on my left side.  This has me a bit nervous because I never have really had any digestive issues before.  

Researching on the internet has my mind racing and has me a bit panicky as I'm reading about horrible things like bowel cancer and pancreatitis.  

Anyway, the pain is a dull achy feeling that is just under the edge of my left ribcage.  Is this just an upset stomach from drinking too much when I normally don't?  Even 3 days later?  

My stool has been normal, and my appetite is still intact, so those are good signs.  Maybe I'm just aging and my body is taking longer to recover from drinking.

Anyway, I hope the symptoms subside after a few more days of taking it easy.  I also don't intend to ever drink like that again.  Yuck.  

Any comments or thoughts would be much appreciated.  :)

Don't you just love the 'it's all in your mind people'!
Unless they can get a machine to display it on a screen 'it's in your mind'!

Anyways, would I be right if I said you're describing a semi or even permanent state of 'fatigue'?  
If this is the case it could be one of a million things - that in some cases need to be looked for very specifically...

In short, as in so many cases nowadays, your GP simply hasn't done enough... I'm actually pretty horrified with their diagnosis of 'I give up/can't be arsed!'....

Here's a bit of something to read re: fatigue and possible causes/associations.. May be worth a read - maybe forward to GP also...
'Generally Pointless!'

Fatigue is a symptom characterized by a diminished ability to exert oneself, usually associated with a feeling of being tired, bored, weak, and/or irritable. It is universal to all types of liver diseases, and does not necessarily correlate with the severity of liver disease.  In fact, fatigue may be just as debilitating to an individual in the early stages of liver disease, as in an individual with advanced cirrhosis.
In some people, fatigue begins several years after the diagnosis of liver disease has been made.  In others, it is the primary reason for seeking medical attention in the first place.  Oftentimes, multiple visits are made to a variety of different types of doctors in search of a cause of fatigue before it is connected with liver disease. Some people even seek psychiatric evaluation since depression often accompanies fatigue.
Fatigue may occur at any time of day, but it is most common in the morning.  Often, little more than an hour after awakening, a person may already feel the exhaustion of having worked an entire day.  Others describe weakness and lack of energy throughout the whole day.  Their usual “pep” is now gone.  Even little tasks become more trying, and around 3:00 P.M. they simply must lie down to take a nap.
Fatigue can be caused by the liver disease itself, from other disorders- such as a thyroid disease or vitamin deficiencies- often associated with liver disease, or from medication used to treat the liver disease - such as interferon.  Thus, the successful treatment of fatigue can be multifactorial, and a challenge.  The patient’s doctor must carefully look at all of the factors possibly contributing to his or her feeling of fatigue, as some factors can be corrected easily.
Anemia is a common cause of fatigue. The primary source of anemia should be carefully sought, as there are many different potential causes.  Iron deficiency anemia may be due to blood loss from internal bleeding.  Thus, an extensive gastrointestinal evaluation may need to be done.

Hope it helps mate!
Hi 37 year old male, binge drinking since I was 22. The last couple of years i noticed a pain and uncomfortable feeling in the upper left area of my stomache, just below the rib cage after a night of heavy drinking. It usually lasts a couple of days, sometimes three. This started getting alot worse around last christmas. As long as I don't drink i don't have this problem. I eat healthy and exercise. Based on online research, it sounds like it is Gastritis. After a five day binge last spring i went to get a dr's note ( i called in sick) and explained the situation to him. He gave me some sort of anta cid and said if it goes away, don't worry about it. Although he did say, if u ever notice blood or black in your stool make sure u come back.
31-year-old male. Was a binge weekend drinker from the age of 18, but since the age of 26, I've been drinking 3-5 days a week, usually averaging about 10 units per night, but sometimes as low as 1, or as high as 25. That's five years of moderate alcohol use.

For a couple months before the stomach symptoms, I noticed my hangovers were lasting longer. It was taking me a few days to recover. I chalked this up to the Atkins diet I was on, which meant the only carbs I was taking in were from alcohol. I also chalked this up to getting older.

Overdid it big time one night at a friend's birthday party. I woke up feeling like death, but two days later I had a pitcher of beer and that's when the stomach problems started. Also at that point, I was having random bouts of extremely cold feet. Over the next few weeks, the fullness in my left abdomen, just below my rib cage was at its worst. It got worse if I drank any alcohol, and it got worse when eating large meals. It also seemed to get worse on an empty stomach. There was no winning! Initially there was no pain, just a fullness or pressure-like feeling. But it seems now if I drink, there is a period where it graduates to a dull ache.

Fast-forward almost two months and the feet are almost back to normal, and the abdomen issues seem to flare up if I drink, stay for a couple of days then subside. I've been meaning to go to a doctor, but because my symptoms haven't really interfered with my life, I don't want to waste anyone's time. My appetite hasn't been affected. Other than being constipated, my stools look normal. My energy levels are a little off, but I'm a nocturnal person by nature, so it's really tough to distinguish that from the norm. No nausea or vomiting either. I do find that if I exert myself, I feel weak and shaky and have to sit down. This has been happening now since the summer, and worries me a little.

At this point, I don't know whether it's my stomach or something else is inflamed.
Hi maN, i FEEL THE SAME WAY YOU DO...I was a heavy drinker did all the tests..and if I drink little bit of alcohol I get to feel in pain..Can't even eat cholesterol or anything....I think we have done damaged to our insides and there is no coming back...all I have to say is ...don't drink no more...you have to reverse everything with time and also healthy food...
same here.  did all the test even had the endoscopy.  although i still have the pain in my stomach occasionally i may be able to help some of you.  it turns out that i had inflammation in my esophigus and the doctor told me that it appeared i had food allergies.  i went to the allergist and had hundreds of needles pricked into me to see what i was allergic to.  i was diagnosed with allergies to lettuce, eggs, rice,bananas, oranges, peanuts, and a bunch of other ridiculous things which it turns out can cause fatigue and pressure feeling in the stomach, feeling of dehydration and all kinds of other things.  even though i didn't have a severe allergy to any of these things it was enough to cause long term damages and discomfort (and yes alchol is the worst even tho i wasnt actually diagnosed to being allergic to it).  so with being causious i am slowly getting better even tho there are some things im sure bother me that i havent found yet.  fyi alot of people are allergic to wheat without even knowing it. i do still have pain and i hope theres not actually something else wrong even tho all the test say im "perfically healthy".  dont let anyone tell you its in your head, they are wrong.  the only depression i have is my stomach pain and i know you all probably have that same fustration. anyway i hope this may help some of you.
clint-  
I had the same symptoms, except, I don't drink...and by that ..I mean...I would just have 1 beer every other month just to acompany my husband.  Anyways... terrible stomack pain.. everywhere !!!  shortness of breath, palpitations... totally exhausted...and because of all this and more...then I DID GET THE ANXIETY ATTACKS all in my head kind of thing...(I got that a lot from doctors too - which frustrated me even more) I thought I was dying !   My husband had to calm me down so many nights... I got tests done..and everything came back normal too...  I decided to take matters into my hands and since I was scared of eating pretty much everything...I started eating what seemed healthy and logical...  So, check this out...this is what I did for a matter of 2 weeks ONLY !...that meant...I stopped all dairy products: milk, cheese, yogurths, etc,  I stopped all  meats !!, and all stuff that seemed acidic and that would hurt my stomach: hot peppers, onions, limes, oranges, salsas, tomatoes,  and dairy products, I stopped sodas !  they're really bad,  stopped flowers....which I love too ! (pastries and all that sort of stuff), no candies or anything with sugar...and stopped all cafeinatted products...  and pretty much all cooked food !!  So I was only left with what I didn't know until after months later which is a RAW DIET !   But I didn't know it even had a name...I was in a RAW DIET.   Eating only vegetables, fruits, beans, grains and nuts !     OKAY...What's important here is ...after a week of doing that ..... I was already feeling much better...like a 60% better.... then I continued another week...and felt PERFECT !!  MY results from the Endoscopy came excellent...!!   I had issues before this diet with bone pain everywhere and migraines ...well...everything went away !!!  It sounds too good to be true ! I know ...but WE SURE ARE WHAT WE EAT !!   I say, check if you are allergic to anything...and QUIT DRINKING ALREADY !   Google RAW DIET, and you will find all kinds of information about it for free ! and recipes and stuff.  It is a very strict diet...it's actually a lifestyle, but if you did it for a few weeks...you will see an enormous difference like I did...I got to 100% better.    ....     ACIDITY in the body is one of the worst things....get rid of the acidity ! eating healthy !    Please check "Raw Diet" (google it or youtube it, there is lots of people doing it) & Alkiline Water"   The second I haven't tried...but I found a site where you can actually make it yourself !!  
http://www.acidalkalinediet.com/how-to-make-alkaline-drinking-water

That diet I did for only two weeks was 2 years ago... then did it again last year around march...and lasted 3 weeks... I just started last week...I'm in my first week this time...I plan to stick with it for a while !!  It's such a healthy way of living !!!  it really fixes you up !!!   I just wish you did it if you could at least for a couple of weeks !!!  If you do, let me know how it went !

Ohh okay, I did forget to say my OLD bad habits:  not eating my 3 meals, maybe just 2 and very very large meals... and drinking 2 big cups of coffee everyday,  + lots of acidic stuff....like I put lime to everything...lots of spicy food (I'm Mexican) I mean, really really hot !!  and lots of sodas... and tons of pastries....very poor diet ....with NO veggies or fruits...only rarely....

The above has all changed...  I've tried to quit coffee and pastries so many times...   and spicy food too :)  Yummy things...but not healthy...   So, having said all that, I wish you the best !!! My stomach problems have not return since that first time diet !!  
Hi everybody,my friend he drinks alot i mean alots.Now he have this stomach pains all over.I dont know if it *** from drinking alot or what.But he can drink 3 liters of vodka n about 3 case of busch beers.I tell him to cut it down some cause thats not good for his health at all.Then,sometimes he might eat or he might not.I was just trying out do anybody have the same problems or is there a websites i can go to to found what it is.
I'm 31 male and been binge drinking since 17 years old.

My heavier drinking days were when I use binge drink every week when i was 25-28 years old. I do remember the first time i really ruined my stomach from binge drinking  12noon till 2am at an office party.

The other week i drank with workmates from 7pm-3am. That made sick and fatigued for 2 weeks.My stomach is still very sensitive.

So glad i found this site, because it seems many guys at a similar age, who are a bit nervous (i do suffer from occasional panic attacks) and been binge drinking a for a while have the same symptoms.

Think it's a tell-tale sign to give drinking a rest and drink in moderation when the occasions arises...
Hello all,
I am 37 year old male, healthy and have been drinking since 15.
About 3 years for now I had constant pain between my shoulder blades that would travel at a time left or right in the back.Also shortness of breath sweating hot cold flashes numbness all over the body, filling like there is something bad and I will die any minute, cold hands feet if I ate or drank anything cold or worm I would feel it 100% more than ever before and only time I would only get relief from this when I drink red wine, and it would be on average bottle a night that kept me normal and without pain. But next day I would feel even worst and this made me to stop. Went to drs and did all possible blood, ekg, endoscopy ets tests all came back normal. And after so many test I did B1,B6, and B12 that showed B1 and B12 normal range but B6 sky high eleveted about 1000% of normal range.I have just recently find out when I drink 500mcg B 12 vitamin all symptoms subsides. I believe that too much alcohol depletes your stomack completely out of acid and you do not have it at all or very low that it can absorb almost anything at all. Moreover, I drink organic apple vinaigrette with water before and after any meal to raise acidity in my stomack. O BOY what a relief I am new and after 3 years of suffering I am slowly regaining my self...
Good luck all, I hope this helps!
Hi, my mum use to drink everyday for like 6-7 years but she gave it all up completely 3 weeks ago as she found out that she has a stomach ulcer, she's taking some tablets that the dr gave her but the pains just getting worse! Although now she thinks that the pains are more drink related than anything else because she gave up cold turkey. So I was just wandering if anyone on here knows how long alcohol pains can last for and which part of the body do they affect the most? Thanks in advance!
Mr. Brigham, there your go! its only thiamine deficiency. Vitamin B1 would perform the magic! Mr. Sal pup, first happy that we both are on same boat and all the conditions you indicate are same as mine except im not in law enforcement! happy for you that you have quit alcohol. Simple truth is when you started taking alcohol, your body was good! now when you stopped, your body is worst. but hey, its going towards positive curve! give it some time. Be patient. Control your mind, meditate, find inner peace. for some days it would be difficult. but pls practice. give it some time to repair itself by giving all natural supplements like fruits and veggies. Alcoholism causes vitamin B1 deficiency. if possible, take multi vitamin tabs. Thats all. you will be back to happy days. All the best!
If you had tests done and the docs couldn't find anything, from the symptoms you describe it is very likely that you have some food intolerances, possibly leaky gut syndrome. Usually the gluten is the culprit but the doctors wouldn't know to tell you that, they only look at the tests and if they are negative, you are fine from their point of view, they will tell you it is all in your head. You should try to go on elimination diet for at least one week and you'll probably be surprised how you feel. If you see a difference after one week, then obviously it is the food you are eating and you should seek advice from a nutritionist. Elimination diet: eliminate carbohydrates from all cereals, sugars, dairy products and eat only meat and vegetables, few fruits, nuts (if you feel hungry) but are hard to digest...It is worth trying, that is the only way to know if you have food intolerances, no tests can be precise on that. These days more and more we discover that the food we eat is eating on our health, just changing the way we eat can bring us back to health.
In regards to the alcohol 'theory,' I can vouch that careless use of it can have some really funny effects on your body over time.

I grew up in a household and with friends that had never resulted in my desire to begin drinking at the typical age that most do (by at least 21). I had a very responsible attitude for years, drinking only one Steel Reserve once a week (on Saturdays) even from 21 up through 24 years of age. I had also always been what many consider a lightweight (have always had a fast metabolism and only weigh around 128 lbs.) I had also always considered myself well above average health, hardly ever getting sick like others do at least once a year.

But life happened, and things picked up, and there were some major changes that had an immense emotional impact on me. To make a long story short, I went from having been a dropout for 5 years to suddenly being hurled into a world full of stress and responsibility. A number of things happened to drastically change my lifetstyle in just about every way. I even moved across states to maintain pursuit of my education while working half time simultaneously.

One of the things I picked up during all this - greatly influenced by my newest friends - was that of drinking. I was in a particularly vulnerable position, psychologically, and so the desire to drink, as I saw how much it pleased them, became suddenly strong (I had also always been somewhat of a worry wort and overly responsible for the years prior to this, and so I saw drinking as a way of emancipating myself from that attitude) - but the guys I hung out with and drank with had built up more tolerance from having done it for years longer than I had, and they were quite large and strong.

I, too, would seldom have a hangover, and would often chuckle and question as to what anyone ever meant by it, but after 2 years of moderate drinking (usually binge drinking on weekends and moments of reprieve in between major university exams and assignments), combined with extreme constant stress and lack of sleep for being enrolled in a rigorous program, seemed to begin to take a toll on my body.

A year into my enrollment, I was overcome by what can only be described as the heaviest of adrenal fatigue. I had severe insomnia, often laying in be for 16 hours just to get 8 hours of sleep, all broken up into 1.5 hour chunks, and no matter what I did I would be incredibly tired and week, and almost like I was living in a dream, walking asleep, my head numb, my thoughts slow.

This went on for months, and the summer following my first year at university, I would have strong stomach nausea almost everyday for at least 3 hours. One thing I also noticed was that the slightest amount of alcohol, even a single beer, would make me ill.

The following august, I was overcome by a shortness of breath so severe it scared the living **** out of me and caused me to spend $800 over a year period to try and diagnose. During the first 3 months of it, I literally felt like I was going to die.

That has been with me for nearly two years now - I also have indications of acid reflux - and while the doctors have found it not to be asthma, my throat is often swollen and chest tight and sore every day. I was diagnosed with chronic bronchitis 6 or 7 years prior, but the alcohol use seemed to have irritated it - as well as stress. Research alcoholic lung disorder.

The way I see it, every pleasure in this life comes at a price. I'm not one to think alcohol in intrinsically bad for you - but it must be consumed lightly and with a responsible attitude - just enough to relax, and it arguably helps to clean your system and kill germs. But if you overdo it, you'll pay the price just as you would by abusing anything else you eat or drink. You cannot cheat nature.

There is hope in the fact that these problems took years to manifest. Do not be discouraged if it takes years to get your system up and running again; but you must be diligent about your health and wait patiently, otherwise it will not happen.
Hello, having been a very heavy drinker and still am, i know that your Mam should definitely not have or been allowed to have stopped drinking all of a sudden, medically very very dangerous tell her to go to the doc immediately, she should have been taken off it very slowly as withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms can be fatal, i am not trying to scare you young lady just giving you the facts, tell her to go and ask for Librium a substitute for alcohol withdrawl (withdrawal), this may not help her stomach but it will help her with withdrawl (withdrawal), i hope she feels better and stays off drink for ever. take care.  Kevin.
Alcoholic Lung Disease. I found great results with these search terms, great lead. Have done much study on this as Alcohol has created many issues in my life. Although this "disease" seems to still be a topic of debate, the symptoms seem to be real enough and am grateful for tip. Alcohol inhibits absorption of oxygen to cells, possible fluid increase in lungs blocking absorption further, throw Acid Reflux inflammation on top (and sure many drinkers smoke, I did) and you have a bad mix for fatigue among all other issues. After lengthy periods (months/pints/daily) of heavy drinking it seemed as though my lungs almost felt heavier and heavier...IDK but sounds legit. Thanks.