Exercise & Fitness Community
Ammonia smell in lungs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Ammonia smell in lungs

When I do any cardiovascular exercise and start to get winded, I get a very strong ammonia like smell in my nose, like it is coming out of my lungs.  This smell is not coming from outside my body, but internally.  It's almost like the alcohol smell that goes up the back of your nose when you drink a shot of liquor.

I have had this all my life and just sort of assumed it was the same for everybody, but apparently other people don't have the same thing.  

What could be causing it?
I know what you are talking about.  I get the same thing happening to me, but it happens almost randomly.  Its almost bothersome for me because i feel like i am just smelling the inside of my lungs through the back of my through.

Sometimes i worry about what it could be, but i try not to think about it.  This is the first time that i have actually tried to find out about it and search online, but not one else, except you, has experienced the exact same thing as me.
Now you mention it I've had this too. I think it's sinus congestion that clears when you exercise so you smell it a bit.
I too want to know what that ammonia smell is when I inhale then exhale I smell it bad plz give feed bk .I jus noticed this recently.;0(