Appropriate work out for kids?
My husband & I are trying to get into a fitness routine at home & our son, age 8, wants to join in. I am very happy about this, but are there limits to what he should be allowed to do? I am reluctant to hand over the weights for curls, etc. I don't want him to injure himself! I want to to encourage his interest in fitness, so we let him stretch out with us & he does the situps & push ups with us. He is healthy, though a bit weak in upper body strength, & pretty active. Would 1lb weights be okay? Should he even be working on muscle tone & strength with weights at all? We don't have & currently can't afford the Wii, so basic weights & calisthenics are about it at the moment. We plan to branch out into some tai-chi & yoga too.
ran across your question and had to reply,in no way shape or form let your son at that age lift any weights.from what i have read in muscle& fitness magazines a kid should not start using weights until at least 13 yrs old. stretching is another thing though,i would talk to his gym teacher and ask him what exercises he gets them to do.find out what he(your son enjoys most)and build on that.maybe get him balloon weights or something to simulate what you and your husband are doing. hope this helps...think it's great you and your husband can workout together. it's a plus your son wants to join in just make sure he has fun.
I really appreciate your response! He is getting extra PE training at school to deal with his weak areas & I have already asked the trainer to give me list of activites to work with, so that should help. This summer we are hoping to be able to afford swim class for him too. I am really excited about his interest in working out with us! I think I will keep him focusing on stuff he already is trying to learn; like pushups (he still sticks his butt up in the air). The balloon weights are a good idea if he still wants to join with the weights. I've been looking at some kid work out videos too, something that focuses on the fun aspects of being active.
Hello!

I would rather suggest you to take him for short courses of jogging and running.

He can play football, basketball, tennis and practice swimming which is very good for his age.

I would not encourage weights and other adult staff to kids his age.

Occasional handling of 1 pound weights with caution is fine. Occasionally he can join you guys, as kids they would love to be with parents so you can try to indulge and include in some sports which are recommended for kids his age. He will be thrilled!

Take care!
Thanks for the advice.

We play soccer after school every now & then with other kids. He really enjoys it & we go to the park to let him climb & play. We aren't really the jogging & running type (some knee problems within the family) but we are going to include swimming this summer if we can afford the money for lessons for him.