Back Pain in the Morning
I'm a 26 yr old Male, who currently suffers from back pains in the mornings. Other than the back pains, I would say that I am a healthy and fit person.

The pain only occurs in the mornings. As soon as I get up and start moving around, and stretching out the back, the pain starts to dissappear, with only a slight tingle left during the day, but not really noticeable.

I've tried so many things:
- Celebrex (this helped to relieve the pain, however as soon as I stopped using it, the pain instantly came back. I don't want to be taking drugs for the rest of my life).

- Chiro, this seemed to only provide temp. relief also, but the pain is still there.

- Osteopath, same as Chiro, however has helped my correct my posture.

- I've tried accupuncture, and again this hasn't helped.

- Fearing the worst, I went to the doctors and told them about the pain, and he ordered an xray for my back and this came back fine.

- I've changed my mattress twice now to one that is designed to support the back.

- I've paid attention to my pillow, and have changed that too, to one that provides greater support (latex - dunlopillow)

- I try to exercise regularly, and pay particular attention to stretching out the back.

I believe that the pain must be associated with the way that I sleep. However how does one control how they sleep when they are unconcious. I sleep on my back and sides (when I'm aware). When on my side I bend my knees slightly.

I've had this pain for about 1 year now, and I'm getting very concerned. Any suggestions?

(***@****)

I can relate to literally every comment posted here. I wake every morning with extremely bad lower back pain that extends up around my rib cage. After some stretching and a hot shower, the pain disappears. -But there is something different about my situation from other comments here: I take heavy doses of tranquilizers and antidepressants every evening, and I usually sleep 10 hours a night. A sleeping partner has told me that I sleep like a dead man: flat on my back, with my arms crossed over my chest. I don't think I change positions or move ALL NIGHT because of the sedative effects of my medicine -I think this is the cause of the pain. In all other regards, I am active and pain free during the day, well rested and alert also. Does anyone have a similar story?
We do not know the reasons why you are taking so many sedatives. If you can avoid them it is good for your long term health.
Choose ergonomically suitable bed and mattress while sleeping this will help.
Take care!
Hi, Im 22 and about 4 months ago I had tendonitis in my shoulders and arms, i was also waking up with back pains in the morning that would ease within half and hour of waking up, my tendonitis has been treated but the lower back pain that you have all described has stayed with me and seems to be getting worse! I was worried that it seems many people have been suffering here for years without any answers and i was wondering whether anybody thinks that the back pain might be linked to the tendonitis i had? could i have done some permanent damage by not resting enough when i had tendonitis? I cant afford a good matress so for now im going to try cod liver oil and multivitamin and maybe some anti inflammetries?

:)
Lower back pain in the morning usually indicates bulging or herniated discs in your back. While sleeping fluid builds up in your disks causing them to enlarge and if one or more is bulging it will get pinched by your vertebra. When you get up in the morning the fluid drains and the disks go back to there normal size and the pain is reduced. GO GET AN MRI AND A GOOD DR.!
I've had the exact lower back pain symptoms as most of you have described to the point that I can’t roll over in the AM without throwing my arm over, grabbing the sheets and pulling me to my side.  

A few weeks ago the pain changed and didn’t subside as described and stayed with me all day long.  I tried a Chiro – gave me some immediate relief but the pain came back in the AM, Heat – gave me some relief but again came back.  

A friend recommended I take 2 Naproxin, 2X a day and sleep in my recliner for two weeks.  IT WORKS!!!  I’m on day 13 in the recliner and taking the Naproxin and haven’t had any of the back pain!!! (just a little stiffness).  I know I have to get back to my bed (and my boyfriend would like that too) so I’ll post again after I’m back in the big girl bed and let you all know how it’s going.
Hello!

Good to know that your pain is decreasing.

Also consider good ergonomics and proper lifestyle practices and limit the use of medications and pain killers for long term. Wear proper footwear and avoid high heels. Sleep on a proper mattress and also use proper ergonomic friendly chairs.

If the pain returns always get your self diagnosed by an orthopedician and get an MRI done of your lower spine and hip area.

Take care!
I Also have the same similar problem paon andall
I also need sone advice abs how to really get sone help and you know something I'm getting tired of getting up in the morning with a pain low pain really hurts no matter what I do take pills for the pain called excedrin the pill has two different kind of color on both sides this is the only pill that helps me realese the aotumstic pain
thanks any ohter advice will be nice
Eduardo
I read through the first several postings and smiled!  I am a 42 year old female in good health, regularly exercise and had a sore back in the morning on and off for years.  I too tried everything from new mattresses to yoga.  I FINALLY KNOW WHAT CAUSED IT - GLUTEN!  While a glass of soda at night may not help, your problem is most likely an intolerance to gluten which causes a varying degree of air/gas in your entire abdominal cavity which makes you feel like you slept the evening on a cold cement block.  When you get up in the morning and start moving around the gas redistributes and usually causes much less pain.  It has nothing to do with poor ‘ergonomics’ or anything else generally back related, since the pain is only in the morning.  Eating gluten free is quite a commitment, but has health benefits that far exceed getting rid of your morning back pain.  For more information go to the Celiac Website.  In your 20's and 30's you may be in early stages of gluten intolerance and not yet diagnosed with Celiac disease.  A beer is most definitely related to gluten intolerance.  Following a gluten free diet has changed my life and…NO MORE BACK PAIN.
hi all,
im a 39 year old male, i exercise regularly, go to the gym etc. when i was 28 i suffered a Lumbosacral disc herniation. ever since that time i have had problems with my back which have always got better with rest after 2 months or so.
in jan of this year i suffered a rotator cuff tendon injury weight training. this got better with time also and now has completely heals.(this may have no relevance) shortly after i started to suffer mild lower back pain which progressed in severity. at worst, the pain was intense and unbearable .the pain moved around my lower back ending up as sciatica in my right leg.the pain is at its worst in the mornings when it wakes me up after about 6 hours and continues with less severity though out the day. i get pain down my right leg into my foot,  and in my hip. some times my right leg goes numb. i cannot do any activities other than slow walking as the pain is just to much.i get sporadic nervous pain shooting into my hip which makes my yelp like a big girl(no offence girls) my left foot is numb and has been so for 2 months with no change. i have been to the doctors and physiotherapy but no improvement. i am now going to push for a scan. i have tried to rest up with no activity much at all but this didnt work. i drink 1 large strong cup of coffee a day and some water, no alcohol. im considering giving it up in a vain attempt to rehydrate. any ideas that may help? im desperate!!!

will continue to post

I am a 33 year male, slim and reasonably fit. I started running last year and suspect I did my back in during one run. I tried to 'wiggle' my back while running strangely enough on one occasion just to try it out, a stupid mistake as I woke up for months afterwards around 5am with lower back pain! It disappears after 20 minutes once out of bed though

Anyway fed up with it I read up on the forums, and what worked for me was doing 10 minutes exercise and stretching around 10pm before bed targeting the back legs and chest. The pain started to improve I think after the first evenings exercises, the next week or two the pain was on and off not necessarily after doing exercises, but 3 or 4 weeks now I am not waking up in pain which is a relief!

Hope this helps someone

Tim
Hi SkyerNite,

I'm 25 and I've had similar problems for the past few years.  I actually slipped a disc in my lower back about 5 years ago which I'm sure is part of the reason that I still have pain in the mornings.  I find that I can usually "walk it off" and that it is the worst if I've slept in.  Do you find that yours is worse when you sleep in?  Near as I can figure for myself, the pain seems to relate to being in one position sleeping for many long hours (at least that's what I take away from the fact that it is worst when I've slept for longer).  I've tried memory foam too and I find that is worse than a harder surface.  I think this is because it maintains you in one supported position all night.  When I slipped my disc they taught me some inner abdominal exercises (transverse abdominals).  If I'm consistent with those it seems to help the back pain (they said that these INNER abdominals support the spine so even if you have strong outer abdominals it is not the same thing).  The other thing I might recommend is orthotics.  I recently got orthotics for a foot problem and it seems to be surprisingly helpful for the back pain too.

Best of luck!

--Miriam
FOUND THE SOLUTION

-About me (if you dont want to read, skip to solution below)

Im 28 years old, Male, very active and fit (Gym 6 days a week, volleyball leagues, basketball + other stuff).  The past 5 month i have been getting about 4 hours of sleep and am awoken by sharp back pain, making it impossible to go back to sleep. when i wake up i can barely move,  no matter what position i try they all hurt, its hard to breathe and it feels like a vertebrae is out of place pinching a nerve,  after i get up take a shower, walk around,  30 min to 1 hour later its as if though my back is 100% and all the symptoms are gone

- Solution
For me, it was a stomach problem.  I dont know how to explain it, but i read some stuff on this forum that gas or carbonation can build up during sleep and push on a nerve and this is apparently exactly what was happening to me.  Here is what i did, the problem took 5 days to totally disappear and i have been sleeping an awesome 8 hours a night with out waking up

1) clean up your diet,  Eat food that is easy to digest, nothing super greasy or tough for the stomach. DRINK LOTS OF WATER.  Dont eat too much in one sitting, eat multple times a day, little to moderate amount of food at a time.

2) Dont eat close to bed time. I made it so that my last bit of food was at the latest 3 hours before bed time

3) Already mentioned but Drink lots of water, this is very important

4) Give your self an Enema for the first 3 days (once a day for 3 days) Dont use the solution it comes with,  pour it out,  boil tap water (let it cool) and mix with a LITTLE BIT of lemon juice, hold inside for at least 3 minutes.    

Some of you may not want to do this step (4), which is fine, the problem is most of us have been abusing our stomach for a very long time eating junk food and processed foods that stick and harden to the walls of the intestines and slowly poison us,  If you want fast results like mine (5 days) dont skip this part)  

after your stomach is back to 100% functional,  you can slowly add some of your not so healthy foods back into your diet (just dont over do it)

END

Stuff that helps:

1) strengthen your back muscles,   so that they better support your spine.

2) strengthen your abdominal muscles. (Having stronger abs can reduce the amount of work your back muscles have to do by up to 30%

3)  Do lots of stretches,  when your muscles tense up and knot up, they pull and push on the muscles around them, putting pressure on the spinal cord and sometimes irritating the nerves in between the vertebrae

4)  Heat helps promote blood flow to the muscles and has a healing soothing effect.  Hot baths, hot showers and the sauna  help relax the muscles and take a portion of the pain away, (this is a big aid, dont overlook this)  (The only time you do NOT want to apply heat is if something is swollen, in which case it can make it worse by pumping more blood to the swollen area)

5) Back massage.  One of the most effective ways to get rid of the tension in your back muscles.  Make sure to find a therapist with lots of experience capable of doing deep tissue work.  Your not looking for something relaxing, your looking for something therapeutic.  When you call to schedule your appointment, ask how long your therapist has been doing massages,  try to find some one with at least 4 years of experience, plenty of strength and capable of using their forearms, elbows as well as hands.

Hope this helped,  I wish every one an injury free life that is exciting, challenging and rewarding.

Peace
"Em"
Hi Em,

I have similar situation except that I don't exercise regularly and I am trying very hard to do so now.

Firstly, may I know which country are you from? I am from Singapore.

Enema - Where can I buy it? Is it in powder form?

Regards,
Ivy Tan

this is crazy but im just 19 yrs old and im suffering with the same problem as you guys... i had an motorcycle accident 2 yrs ago... the bike fell on my back...it wast that painful but through the years it hurts sometimes...usually in morning or at night before i sleep... sometimes when its very cold i can feel something weird and all of a sudden it hurts... never seen a doctor since i have the accident but our family friend who suffered the same thing just told me that i can only take pain relievers...

the pain always starts in my lumbar area...

thanks of the answers :D
im going to be honest and only read the first few of these as im at work and shouldnt really be on here but am really concerned.. i'm a 16 year old girl and have been having these same symptoms for the past year and a half at least now.. to start off with i thought it was the pressure of my urine on my bladder where my body automatically dont let myself wee throughout the night and when i wake up i always go a wee and i feel a slight relief yet the pain is stil there for a small part of the morning. ive only become a little more worried of the situation as it has been hurting more recently and my aunt told me i should go to the doctors as it could be a kidney problem.. i've booked appointments at my doctors and there is always something coming up at my end or theirs meaning i cant make it.. i will try to get there when possible but most people that have posted on here are 20+ should i be extra worried as im still quite young? its starting to scare me a little now..
keasha, xx
Hi. I'm a 17 year old girl. My back has hurt since 4th grade. I've tried doctors, chiropractors, physical therapy, new mattress ect ect, My entire back throbs with pain at night. I lie in bed and feel my back pulse and twitch and spasm. It's always worse at night and almost unbearable in the morning. it seems the longer I try to sleep, the more excruciating the pain becomes. however, my pain doesn't go away throughout the day. I am Always feeling the pain. It's just incredibly worse in the mornings.  I'm physically fit, I don't drink much pop, my back doesn't seem to respond much to ice or heat. My back pain gets worse during my periods/before it too. It hurts if I stand too long, it hurts if I sit in one position too long and it pulses when I lye down. I have tried a TENS unit and instead of blocking the pain signals it caused my back to visible clench and spasm. my little sister sometimes gives me massages and she can give nice ones or the kind where she diggs into your back and it hurts like hell trying to get "knots" out. the massages sometimes provide short relief but the instant she stops the pain comes back full force. also I have had many tests done and x-rays and MRI's. My blood work is fine, nothing wrong there cept a lil low on Iron but the doc said that was nothing. He also said there were no signs of inflammation. I was tested for AS and I did not have it. x-rays showed that I had a herniated disc (already knew that) and maybe a few bone spurs but a very straight spine. these do not explain why my entire back hurts the way it does. I want the pain to go away. I don't understand why it's there and all the doctors have done is said "I hope you're smart because you'll never be able to do physical labor." I REFUSE to give up sports and physical labor, I've tried taking a break from those things to see if it helped. it didn't. I will try some of the suggestions I've seen here but I have little hope any more.
however I do have some questions..
1) would the build up of gas theory show up on any of the tests I mentioned before?
2) I have noticed that my curves on either side of my body are different..... one side is a deeper more acute curve. the other is more shallow. why is that? could that be related to my back in anyway?
3) I had an incident when I was in 4th grade where I fell off a 15 ft slide and landed flat on my back. I walked to my teacher, couldn't breath, collapsed, blacked out, and was rushed to the hospital. I was fine and had no problems. drs assumed that caused my herniated disc. but again it doesn't explain the back pain I suffer. but could this kind of a fall have caused some other issue that drs didn't catch that could be affecting my back?
4). would the kidney theory show on the tests I mentioned above?
5) I have also had many head injuries from lacrosse, other sports and a bike accident that I never got checked out because I knew there'd be nothing the drs. could do. could those be affecting my back?
6)I also have breathing difficulty during excersize which drs said COULD be sports induced asthma. an inhaler does partially help but I personally think my back is somehow causing the breathing difficulty. could there be any connection?
7)I often crack my back, is that bad for my back? i do it because I often feel like my back becomes stiff with little movement or staying in one position too long.
8) sometimes I have bad chest pains or pressure... sometimes my heart skips a beat or beats a little irregularly for a short time. like usually during periods of rest either directly after excersize or at night. is this in any way related to the back pain?
9) would anyone recommend homeotherapy? I've been to a homeopathic doctor and he's the only dr. I've ever appreciated because I left 100% satisfied and 100% better. however I'm hesitant with this chronic back pain because I'm tired of wasting my parents money on these stupid drs and tests. I can't deal with this pain much longer or I'll go crazy or one day I'll just not be able to stand up. but I do want to burden my parents with expensive drs and treatments that don't seem to work.

If anyone could answer these questions or give me a little insight into my particular situation I'd be eternally grateful. and to all who read all these.... thank you. just to know that someone else has some idea of what it feels like, who knows a little of what I'm going through...to know that someone cares and listened.... it means a ton. so thank you.

I have had morning back pain too. Get your parasite test from your doctor. I then took parasite kill and I was fine. I got that trick from Dr. Oz. his wife wrote a book and it happened to her too. She had her pain start at 3 in the morning each day.  Good luck
hi i am 27 yrs aged also suffering with the same difficulty as u guys. whenever i worke up in morning my back pain but when i get up and go for walk it relief me and my pain had gone out until i sleep. it just started in few weeks. never seen a doctor but our family friend who suffered the same thing just told me that i can only take pain relievers... which i don't want to take.

if anyone  have cure for this problem plas write to me at my e-mail ***@**** be very gratefully....

Two products I recommend Nubax Trio if you google it check the ( Nubax Trio Back Pain Review ) I bought this and it's great I have two herniated disc and stenosis I also bought the Sleep number bed and sleep through the night!
Good Luck
About 12 months ago back I started having lower right side back pain upon waking. It takes quite sometime to move and flex to a level where I can dress myself. I have a set of stretching exercises I go through to get mobile each day. Sometimes the pain is so bad that I take a single paracetamol tablet which surprisingly can help reduce the pain to nothing for a couple of days. Occasionally I will have a day when I wake up with no pain at all without doing anytghing. I have had back issues for a long time but this is very different to the other back pains I have had. I don't sit much because if I do the next day the pain is too great.

Loosing weight has not helped at all. I saw a podiatrist who fitted me with custom made orthotics and this has I believe made matters worse for my back pain (it has helped my feet though).

I will try fish and flax oil next. Swimming does help as does walking each day but I am still at a loss to what is causing the actual pain and problem.  
I have had enough of the Doctors who suggest deep tissue massage - how much massage will fix the problem?
While many seem to complain about the pain, not many are explaining the exact description of the pain. The more detailed your descriptions are the more accurate the diagnosis is.

People please explain in elaborate words the type and kind of pain you experience. Is it constant pain like a headache or is it like a toothache....or is it spasmoidal or tingling sharp pain.

In my case I get the spasm like pain around the last 5 vertebrate of my spine and does not spread elsewhere which i would presume helps me detect that it is not related to nerve pinching since that would transfer the pain to other areas like the hip , buttocks, legs etc. I suspect my pain to be muscular cramps ( but quite sharp and painful ones) which occurs when I try to move from my sleeping position on my bed when i yelp aloud and return back to the previous position where the pain is lesser or is reduced. Again when I try to move on the other side it spasms again. These all feel like cramps to me pertaining to a certain rigidity of the cartilagenous muscles that surround the lower spine. This resembles very much like cramps where you would just freeze and yelp and wait till the area is a lot more relaxed. I have noticed that I constantly try to wringe/clench my butt/move hands/legs/lift neck and head etc around in the bed to find a position where the pain is the lowest and then take a deep breath when i find one such position. I remain like this for about 5-10 minutes and try again and gradually inch myself out of the bed

Does anyone else feel this type of pain too??

I'm only 15 and this has been going on for a year or two. The worst pain i get is to breath when I wake up and it's a huge inconveniance. I also have a lot of unjustified joint problemsso I don't know what is related and what isn't. I don't want to see a Dr. about it because it's expencive and it's not looking like it's helping anyone else. Any suggestions?
back pain in the morning or when i get up to bathroom during the night.
so intense i can scream. i am going to try fish oil/flaxseed oil.  also i have an appointment with my dr. i feel for all of you that have these symtoms.
pain starts when i have been in bed a while at night. when i get up to bathroom pain is intense to lower back and hips, radiates down left leg,also numbness and tingling. can hardly move in the morning. after i am up and moving in the morning an hour or so pain is gone, also i take 2 advils that work wonders,until i  have to go to bed again.
I'm a 30 year old female and have had very similar symptoms to everyone above.  I blame it on going through two pregnancies and carrying a 3 and 1 year old around all the time.  Also, I'm very tall (6'1") and have poor posture in general.  
I'm currently seeing a chiropractor and a very good massage therapist, but after 2 appointments each I'm just feeling extremely sore after and it's not helping the sleep at night yet.  I'll keep trying for 3-4 weeks before I reevaluate though.  
So far I think the carbonation elimination, flax/fish oil suggestions and possible gluten issues might be worth considering.
Isn't back pain unbelievable?  Especially when it reduces your sleep.... I've experienced 2 births with no pain relief, multiple tooth pain issues, etc. but to wake up EVERY morning with pain gets to you over time mentally and physically.  
I wish you all the best and thanks for the suggestions!
Hi All I am new to this horrible morning lower back/pelvic pain.  I recently got over a kidney infection and am in the process of passing a small stone which i believe i have already passed. I am now dealing with a morning pain that is similar to the kidney pain i experienced but not exact and only in the morning where the kidney pain was all day.  It is so bad i must take a vicodin and ibuprofen 800 in the A.M. to function at all.  Note the pain is DEBILITATING & EXCRUCIATING to answer the previous question of how does it feel, but more specifically a constant sharp pain in the lower back, hips and pelvic area.  I dont know how long it last because in the last week I have not been able to function without the pain killers.  I did some research and found that the Here is an excerpt from eHow Health:  

Important Warnings about Ciprofloxacin: Ciprofloxacin carries a special warning about the possibility of developing tendinitis or experiencing a tendon rupture while taking this medication, Medline Plus warns. People over the age of 60 are more susceptible to this. Children under 18 can develop problems with bones, joints or the tissues surrounding joints. Joint and tendon problems usually occur in the shoulder, hands and back of the ankle, but they can occur elsewhere. Although tendinitis or joint pain could involve the back, back pain, especially if accompanied by a fever, may indicate a different problem. Both types of back pain should be reported to your doctor immediately.

This antibiotic is prescibed to cure not just UTI's and Kidney infections but many other conditions such as venerial diseases.  Please respond if you have taken this drug, we may be onto something.  I will try all suggestions to help with my pain.  Is there any legal minds out there who can answer this question "If a drug company warns of a condition you may develop from taking their drug are they free of liability?" and "Does the word develop without the word temporarily indicate an indefinite condition?"
Im 42 and have had this problem for about 7 years. It has got noticably worse as time has passed, but some mornings are worse than others. I simply can't spend anymore than 9 hours in bed- if I do the pain and stiffness is terrible. I have done nothing as far as follow up with a doctor in response to this problem. It hurts to change possition or get up in the morning, but I push through it because it improves very rapidly with walking around and voiding my bladder. I am currently quite sedentary, but the pain was no different when I was training for a 1/2 marathon. I believe after reading this old thread that lactic acid and indeed carbonic acid may be large contributors to pain in the flanks in the morning. Drinking a couple large glasses of water 2 hours prior to bed and stealing clear of carbonated drinks after supper may help significantly. As a registered nurse I have seen, on countless ,  how similar factors affect people differently. This may not help everyone- or certainly cure anyone, but avoiding narcotics or prolonged NSAID use and managing symptoms is the goal here. I hurt this morning and realized I had a large mug of diet coke before bed- the stiffness and discomfort started after about 5 hours- noted that when I got up to go to the bathroom. The lactic acid- a biproduct of muscle use, and carbonic acid- a component of carbonated beverages are processed by the kidneys. Perhaps too much of these chemicals- sitting in the kidneys are causing the pain. Cleansing the works with water may help decrease the overnight acid bath that the kidneys are exposed to. I am often surprised at how simple solutions have extraordinary results and how what we consume determines how we feel.
After reading the entire thread from 05 to now it is clear that there are many different issues being talked about. If your pain is in the lower back/ flanks, non radiating and quickly resolved by movement then it may be more diet and activity related. As discussed before- gas may build up causing discomfort, corbinated beverages/ muscle use and training lead to increased lactic acid build up (as does sleep apnea!), previous injuries- especially when you are still growing- possibly involving bone growth plates can lead to ongoing and chronic problems later in life. Radiating pains into the legs or upper back suggest possible pinched nerves like in siatica. Perhaps those seeking help from buddies need to actually see a doctor. My pain has been on going for years, but I only started looking it up on the Internet because it is such a short term issue for me. I can't sleep in- so I don't, it hurts till I get up- so I get up. I have sleep apnea so I use a CPAP machine (if you snore- look into it!), for proper diagnosis you do need to be as specific as possible relating area, type and intensity of pain (the number scale is often used 1-10- 1 being you stubbed your toe and 10 you got hit by a truck [or the worst pain you have ever felt]. Talking to your doctor is necessary- certainly if nerves are suspected or relation to previous injuries and or a history of arthritis- a doctor is someone with experience treating people with a host of issues possibly very similar to your individual complaint. They can also refer you to other resources should the simple lifestyle changes noted in this discussion be inadequate. If you change doctors you don't have to start from scratch describing your problem and all the things you have tried to relieve the problem. He or she may ask you to give them a description of the problem, but that is to ensure they have a proper grasp of the specifics- things not always obvious from brief notes. Start simple, keep moving, keep looking and trying new things and never give up.
Hi. Sorry to hear about everyone's back issues. I am a nurse and have back pain myself, probably just wear and tear but also due to herniated discs and muscle spasm so I know where you are coming from. Have also witnessed patients with severe back pain.
Whilst you may have spinal issues your back pain may also be due to Neuropathic pain caused by a variety of issues, one being related to medications or alcohol use. Dehydration could also be a cause.
So I would suggest trying to eliminate certain things from your diet, such as alcohol initially and see if there is an immediate improvement. You could also increase water intake during the day and perhaps try a supplement. Magnesium deficiency can also be a related issue, so magnesium supplement may be beneficial for a period of time. Fish oil tablets may also help...if it doesn't help our back, at least it might help our brain! ;-))
Failing that, RESTING (ie NO physical exercise for a period of time could be beneficial) along with heat packs and medication prescribed to you. Then introduce stretching exercises which will help reduce muscle spasm too, perhaps glucosamine also. Failing that an Xray or MRI, then as needed, physio or physical therapy, posture correction, meds or surgery. Go easy on the anti inflammatories if possible. Other meds can be prescribed for pain in addition or instead... panadol osteo, codeine based meds or low dose narcotics can help severe pain for short periods.but can be addictive and have side effects. I am sure you all know this already but hope to help a little. Stay positive
All the best, hope things improve
I'm 14 it all started 6-12 months ago I woke up 3-5 hours after falling asleep  with a pain In the upper-centre of my back. I kind of ignored it but it is getting to the stage where it hurts so much, just wish it would go away.
I am 29 female who has suffered with morning back pain for 7 years. I can't remember really when it started (not from any particular incident). My sister suffers from it as well and is 10yrs older than me. I've always been healthy and active. I eat a completely organic diet, no alcohol and no cane sugar. I drink 2-3 litres of water a day. I've seen Chiro, osteo for years they only give temp relief, I take heaps of vitamins a day, tried accupunture with no effect. Have massages- nice, but no effect the next day. Only thing that worked for a while was no carbohydrates or sugar of any kind. It was hard to maintain but try paleo diet but don't eat fruit. See if it helps, I might try that again, hard to stick to bc I love to cook.
I have a solution for those of you people having a problem with back/kidney pain in the  morning that goes away quickly after getting up and urinating. Most likely the problem is kidney/urine reflux, where the urine backs up in the kidneys at night, this can be caused by debris or tiny stones caused by too much calcium in the urine which is usually caused by caffeine. Caffeine is extremely acidic and because the body MUST keep a somewhat neutral PH it has to excrete calcium  for this task. That's why caffeine also causes osteoporosis.

check out this great article -
http://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/communications/familymedicine/2011/3427.htm).  

I used to drink tea daily and I had this problem for about 2 years and then I went on vacation with my wife  and didn't drink any tea and noticed I woke up with no pain. I was pleasantly intrigued. I thought maybe it  was the lack of stress because I was on vacation or it could be the mattress. So, when I got home and the  pain came back I stopped drinking tea and the pain went away.

I started drinking coffee a few months later, (just one cup a day), and at first I was fine, but slowly the  morning pain returned. The pain seemed to be more centralized directly between my kidneys instead on each  side like before but it was definitely the same kind of pain that resides quickly after getting out of bed  and urinating. I stopped drinking anything with caffeine and I am happy to say, I have absolutely no pain  at all.

Funny thing is if I drink alcohol the night before, I usually don't have the pain in the morning. I assume  it's because you **** out all your water before you go to bed and then you become somewhat dehydrated so  you produce less urine.

"Coffee is an irritant to the urinary tract and bladder. It is also a diuretic that  aggravates conditions associated with frequent urination. Eliminating coffee and caffeine often relieves  symptoms associated with frequent urination due to enlarged prostate glands."

Great article - http://drkaslow.com/html/coffee-caffeine.html

Hi Everyone,

I too am suffering terribly from these morning lower back pains. Some mornings it's so bad that I'm practically paralysed from the waist down and it hurts to just wriggle my toes. It can take me up to 15 mins of prodding and massaging before I can get out of bed. Once I'm up and about the pain subsides after about 30 mins to an hour. Then it's like it never happened.

Here are some things that I have noticed:
- the better I sleep the worse the pain is.
- the pain doesn't kick in until at least 4-5 hours after I've gone to bed.
  (i could wake up 2 or 3 times before that and my back is fine)
- if I eat anything during the 3 hours before I go to bed the morning pain is excrutiating.
- Magnesium doesn't help.
- Stretching before bed doesn't help.
- Cutting out coffee didn't help (but I still drink tea)

I know as we get older our bones get porous and I do think, as stated in an earlier comment, that the lubrication around the joints drain away and pool up, then as we move around our muscles kind of "squeeze" the lubricant back out, making the pain go away.  Having said this, are we all suffering from osteoporosis???  Anyway, I might try a few of these suggestions from this website http://www.simple-remedies.com/home-remedies/osteoporosis-treatment.html
hello just reading your comment , i also have the same problem , it has been 6 months now and i wake up every morning in  the most horrid pain, i have to get up straight away and rub my lower back then stand up, it takes a few hours for it to go , but during the day i have swinges of pain but not much, but i know every morning will be the same... i have had a ultra sound all clear, blood tests for infections all clear, just waitng for my xray results now.... but i am very surprised how many peopel suffer from this, in a way i am glad i am not alone, i hope you find a solution soon x
Just an update...haven't found a solution yet but yoga helps a lot. Also, not eating or drinking at least 3 hours before going to bed makes a huge difference to me....go figure.
Hi I have also been suffering with the same issue.  Even if I am really tired I have to get up as the pain is so intense, but as soon as I get up the pain subsides.

I went to my doctor and they thought it was my mattress, I have slept in hotels and friends and I get the same problem.

I recently had a detox and cut out all caffeine, alcohol and other bad sugars.

My bad pain has stopped completely.  I have introduced all the items and I have found out that my problem is caffeine.  I have totally stopped drinking coffee except for very rare occasions and my back pain has totally stopped.

Hope this helps
The main reason according to me:
1, sleep too late, or sleep badly.
2, bad trip or move to a new place.
3, less sports.
4, bad emotion.

kidneys? no . not sure .. but I think the kidneys won't go bad by itself... all refer to some bad habit.
I have the same exact thing going on right now, only it's pretty much all day with huge peaks in pain severity.  I had gas and then constipation followed by frequent urination before it got really bad.  I've had this before, and when I'd go to the doctor and tell them that I had a urinary tract/bladder infection, they'd always say that these were not the correct symptoms for a UTI, but I was always right.  I think it's perhaps a UTi and sciatica, because the pain kind of moves around from my mid-back, to my side, to my hip, and down my leg making it nearly impossible for me to stand up, straight, walk, or all of the above.  I do know that I am not overly fond of waking up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, so I may have been holding my urine too long through the night, then it became even more frequent over time.  Check out UTI, and sciatica.  I'm headed to the doctor tomorrow.  Take care
I am not saying all Chiros are bad but when I went to one two and half years ago he did a movement that brought on severe pain and then after his girls trying to get me to walk for two hours he still would not call an ambulance until it was like three and a half hours. By then I could not feel anything from the waist down. I was in our hospital for three months doing nothing and then they sent me down to a rehab hospital in Toronto and was there for another three months and then I started to walk after so much treatments there. I was home and it still took me another six to twelve months for my walking to come back as good as it is going to be they say. I will say this that some of my MRI or xrays came back ok and they are saying now there is not enough evidence to say this doctor did wrong...YEAH everyone comes out paralyzed after an apt....I don''t know what to do now and I still have a lot of back pain and my right leg still has spasms and they hurt too. I have to get a ENGor EMG test to see if that is the problem but since it has been two and half yrs after the accident I am not sure what good that is going to do but I will try anything to find out what is going on...I hope that they find something out since I am at my wits end.
Hi everyone, I'm so glad that I have came across your posts. I have had lower back pain for years. I wake in the morning and feel as if I am paralised. I find it so difficult to turn around to get up,  but once I'm up it takes around thirty min before the pain subsidies. I have read all of the advise given and I am going to try and work out what will help. Thank you all.
Not sure if this covers everyone on this chain but I have the same thing..lower back pain upon waking up that goes away as the day proceeds.

What happens is overnight the fluid in the discs around your spine accumulate due to gravity..lying down in excess of 5 hours while sleeping.

Then we rise and these gelatinous discs are bursting at the seams with fluid.

They reshape a bit and hit against the nerves in the spinal cord.

As the day proceeds(for me it's 1/2 hour..thank god), the fluid drains and a few hours later I can do cartwheels across Park Ave here in NYC..although I haven't tried that yet ;-)

This happens to a lot of people!

Especially once you pass 50..something else to look forward to.

For you young'uns, not sure why this would be an issue for you..

I'm working now to figure out ways to alleviate this early morning discomfort as I work from home and sitting at my desk after rising is the worst thing I can do..need to help let the fluids drain and sitting actually delays the process.

This is what I was going to mention. I have AS. Ankylosing Spondylitis which means fusing of the spine. It is an autoimmune disease which causes chronic inflammation of the spine. For most, it begins in the buttocks, and lower spine. Pain that wakes you during the second half of the night and gets better with movement and not with rest. Many times, it does not show up on xrays and mri's in the early stages. It can affect many things and cause pain in may areas such as chest where the ribs attach to the chest wall, also other ribs area, eyes (iritis), hips, shoulder, heels, knees, ankles, hands, heart, lung expansion from the ribs fusing later... it goes on and on unfortunately. What and how it affects in each individual can be different except for the severe  pain and stiffness in the morning in the last half of the night and usually does get better with movement (at least the back and rib pain does). The part about drinking soda and carbonated beverages can play apart in this. Everything you put into your gut plays a part in causing more inflammtion "flares". Many foods cause inflammation, some do not. Starches are bad for this for example. The trick is finding a rheumatologist that is current on these matters (not old docs sorry) and one preferably that comes well recommended by someone you know. There are a variety of things they can prescribe and there are special diets for those who prefer not to use pharmaceuticals. It is very important to gt this checked out by a rheumatologist though or arthritis research center doc. I haven't been able to return to for my second visit to the rheumy for financial reasons so I am not on any meds as such. It is a horrible disease and I hope none of you have it. Every morning I spend crying the pain is so bad, but clicking on the heating pad helps after the first min of even more intense pain that it cause as it circulates the blood in that area, but it does make it easier to get out of bed in a little while. Aside from the severe morning pain, there are periods of time when the other parts affected by this ideas will flare and usually at the same time. Well for me anyways. My ribs, hip, heels, buttocks back of my legs and shoulders will all ache and/or burn causing tons of fatigue and now walking problems. My heels burn and ache 24 hours a day. Not just with the first seps out of bed for me. The burn all the time. This is all just part of it. We have support groups on Facebook for people diagnosed or not (since sometimes it takes a while to get diagnosed). Just look up ANKYLOSING SPONDYLITIS under groups.. they are truly supportive and helpful in whatever stage of inquiry or diagnosis you are in. I hope this helps someone.
Use soft pillows in below your keens and pillow support to your hands, you can try hot bath and body massage, I feel quite relaxed by this...
Hi, David here, my brothers has the same problem like you, whenever is get up in the morning he suffers back pain very badly, I think the  reason of the pain is your sleeping style, what you think it's right or wrong?
I've had a weak back for years. Recently, it got very painful in the early AM. with spasms and pinching nerves while getting up. I went to the chiropractor for the first time in my life(61)but his adjustments were painful and he said to go see my GP.
The short of it is- along with a worn, arthritic back; I discovered I have an IBS problem, which was compounding the back pain and it was the IBS(colitis)that was really waking me up in the early am. The pains wrap around my back and left side about navel level. It used to fade as the morning wore on but I guess it's really inflamed and hurts all day(off and on). I can find positions that are comfortable.
I just started to deal with the IBS problems so hopefully I can get better sleep soon and get back to physical work.
A timely, routine colonoscopy showed the inflammation.
Thanking God for his help. God bless you sufferers, too.
I've been dealing with this for a while myself. over the past three years I've seen several Doctors including Chiro's, DOs and orthopedic specialist. In addition I have a torn Labrum in the front of my hip and have been diagnosed with an Impingement on both sides of the front of my hip due to loss of cartilage. (From Injury)

I thought these problems were connected to the pain in my lower back, however recently I've had a cortisone shot (guided) into the front of my hip which greatly relieved the pain in my hip but had no affect on the pain in my back I'm feeling in the morning.

In addition, I take pain meds daily. (Loritabs 7.5). while these seem to help with the hip as well. They have no apparent affect on the morning pain in my back.

I also have considered that it may be Kidney/liver/ or digestive related but i would think that if so the problem wouldn't be specific to after I've slept for several hours.
My pt gave me a very simple exercise which makes it possible to stand when getting out of bed in the morning. Just lay on your back, bend knees, then very gently roll back and forth keeping back straight.  Don't twist your back and rock back and forth very gently for a few minutes.  Pulling knees to chest also helps.  This increases circulation to your spine.  
My mother has the same problem.
I suffered a severe back pain last week. The exact location was the left region in my mid-back. It was excruciatingly painful and initially, I Thought it was periodic/ pulsating as it wasn't constant but kept on coming back in every 5-10 seconds. A little bit later I realized it was due to my movement. Even the smallest possible displacement of any body part, that was connected to my muscles and nerves of the mid back, would trigger the torment.
I was told by the doctor that it was a neuromuscular pain and there were a few reasons why it happend.
1- My posture, as I was leaning against the wall for a few hours while i was looking down at my mobile playing clash of clans.
2- While binge watching on my laptop  for a couple of hours, I was lying on my right side with my head resting on my right hand and my neck in a crooked position.
3- Then i slept on a few of my clothes that were lying on the bed, that created an uneven resting surface for my back.
Well, i paid a painful price for my sloppiness for the next two days. By the third day the pain diminished and was gone by the end of fourth.